• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Line Stage / Buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

has anyone built both the Aikido Line Stage(could be All in One)
and the A.C.F.

I know with the line stage you have gain vs. A.C.F. unity gain.

Just curious if both should sound similiar or the one with gain would sound better. given using same components, same tubes, same system setup.

Funny you should ask. I Built the 9 pin Aikido all in one linestage about 9 months ago. It utilizes 4 12Au7's. I just finished building the ACF using 6cG7's about 3 days ago. My initial impressions are that the ACF is more detailed and transparent with a wider soundstage. The one caveat here is that I built the ACF utilizing tantulum resistors in the key places that the manual specifies, and I am also using a ladder volume control instead of the alps blue that I use in the ALL in one.

I was amazed and have been very happy with the original All in One kit, it trounced what I previously used, Grounded Grid and Audible Illusions L-1. But the ACF as currently configured while sounding very similar, seems to offer a little more of everything. Highly recommmended and even cheaper to build and operate than the 9 pin all in one. Next up, I am going to try one of the Octel versions....

I've built the 6sn7 aikido line stage in the past. sounds very good.

I currently have built up the ACF with 6DJ8, using the k42y russian PIO's
in parallel with the russian teflons for coupling. I need to remove the teflons
since I think it might be limiting the sound. have not played with it
much lately. using the BAS psu into a salas HV shunt.

reason I ask is I still have a pair of tung sol 6sn7's. have not seen
an octal version of the ACF yet so might do another line stage again.

That's a good question. I am in the process of building the ACF point to point using 6DJ8's and a tube rect. PS. I decided I didn't need any gain because this line stage will feed a 60wpc solid state amp I have.

what coupling caps did you decide on? let us know how you like it or dislike :D

Funny you should ask. I Built the 9 pin Aikido all in one linestage about 9 months ago. It utilizes 4 12Au7's. I just finished building the ACF using 6cG7's about 3 days ago. My initial impressions are that the ACF is more detailed and transparent with a wider soundstage. The one caveat here is that I built the ACF utilizing tantulum resistors in the key places that the manual specifies, and I am also using a ladder volume control instead of the alps blue that I use in the ALL in one.

I was amazed and have been very happy with the original All in One kit, it trounced what I previously used, Grounded Grid and Audible Illusions L-1. But the ACF as currently configured while sounding very similar, seems to offer a little more of everything. Highly recommmended and even cheaper to build and operate than the 9 pin all in one. Next up, I am going to try one of the Octel versions....

what was your choice of coupling caps and which tantulums, which resistors(I'm assuming the gate resistors)?

what flavor of sound does the tantulum resistor provide?

You are right there is no Octal version of the ACF available, I was referring to a linestage version (but hopefully Mr Broskie will come up with an ACF Octal version in the future). I use the RTI coupling caps currently bypassed with a Russian Paper in Oil .1 cap. I am thinking about trying out the Russian teflon as a bypass as well. I used the tantulum capacitors in the 3 critical locations that Mr. Broskie indicates in the ACF manual. Since the is the first time I have used tantulums and I have not built the ACF without them, it is hard for me to indicate what sound they are imparting. But whatever it's doing it sure sounds good....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.