• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Senior Project Tube Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone! I'm new here, but I thought this may be a good place to ask for help regarding my Senior Design project. I'm looking to build a low-voltage (48vDC) line-level tube preamp. This project originally started as a full class AB amp, but has been dialed back big time...
I've attached my schematic design, and I'm looking for any general input at all. I'd like to use the tubes listed, and to keep the overall design as-is (barring any major issues I may have overlooked). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

John

Attachments

• Tube Preamp Rev. 2.jpg
    Tube Preamp Rev. 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 248
John,

A 48 V. B + rail is WAY too low for the types you've selected. Look at the data sheets, please.

If you really want to work with a 48 V. B+ rail, types intended for use with batteries will serve you better. The 1U4 and 1S5 are sharp cutoff pentodes, which will work well at the low B+ voltage.

I was afraid of that, yeah. I'll look into redoing the PS, but I may have some 1U4s kickin' around (not sure about the 1S5s - I'll have to check). Also, I've added a 22nf coupling cap between V1 and V2, but I'd also considered moving the tonestack between the two stages and taking the output directly from the cathode follower. Thoughts?

Sparing you the detailed proposal (which, in truth, outlined the project as it was intended - not what it is now), the design goals are really as simple as "low voltage line-level preamp", I'd like it to distort to some degree, but I'm more or less designing it to my advisor's specs...not mine :\ unfortunately the project has lost much in the way of cohesion, and is now just something I need to finish before early May. The design is still intended somewhat for studio guitar use...I'm sorry I can't be much more helpful. At this point I just need something that works reasonably well, sounds reasonably good, and isn't overly complicated.

Drop the standby switch I'd say. Running tube cathodes for any significant length of time without anode current flowing is likely to damage the cathodes due to a process called cathode poisoning.

Switch everything on, or everything off (inrush current protection and/or slow charge not included. Those are OK, of course).

The first 5751 triode is DC coupled to the anode of the 2nd 12AU7 triode. You 'might' want to use a coupling cap there.

Also, I've added a 22nf coupling cap between V1 and V2, but I'd also considered moving the tonestack between the two stages and taking the output directly from the cathode follower.
22nf sounds a bit small for a decent LF response, but it might be sufficient for guitar.

Moving the tone controls to between the 12AU7 and the 5751 seems like a good idea to me; I'm not really sure if you'll still have line level output in the current design.

How do you expect to get the required current to drive the heaters through a 10k + 10k divider off the 48V line? This suggests that basic things such as ohms law are an unknown to you.
The tubes yous elected are not very good at 48V... with careful design you might get away with something like 6DJ8s. Anther possibility would be certain TV tubes with higher voltage heaters, which you could series-connect and work off the 48V power supply. Even so, it would be MUCH easyer to simply add a dedicated transformer for the heaters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.