• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to eliminate the "white noise" for the 300B tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was build a 300B mono block with 2 ECC32 at SRPP as the input and driver. Everything goes well but the only disappointing that I have is the white noise when the signal from the preamp have been "mute".

From the schematic that I got, there is 2 x ECC32, one at the input stage and one work as the driver for a SE 300B tube. Both the ECC32 have been connected at SRPP.

I was tried to remove the cathode bypass capacitor from the input tube and all the white noise have gone but it do lose lot of mid and low....

Also tried to adjust the gain of the input tube by changed the valve of the resistor(s) of the cathode(s) but did not show much improvement.

Any recommendation?:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• ECC32 ECC32 300B.jpg
    ECC32 ECC32 300B.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 591
Is the noise still here with the input grounded (use a shorted plug for exemple) ?
Everything goes well but the only disappointing that I have is the white noise when the signal from the preamp have been "mute".
So I guess the noise originates from the amp itself, and not from the source/preamp, right?

Is it possible to trace the source of the noise by disconnecting either one of the .22/600V coupling caps?

Looks like if the amp has too much gain.
The 300B needs roughly 150V pp on its grid for full output while the two SRPP stages can provide a gain of near 600 times.
That means an input level of (150 / 600) = .25V pp or 90mV rms . . . ten times too sensitive !

Perhaps just turning down the input potentiometer . . . or removing the preamp ;)

Yves.

i still wanted to see if this problem can be fixed without changed the tube.

have the following findings when i did a trail further.

1. shorted the RCA jack of the power amp : without noise at all

2. connected the power amp with the RCA cable but not connect to the preamp : "de .... de" noise came out from the tweeter.

3. connected the power amp to the preamp with both power ON : hiss noise from the tweeter (can be heard from 3 ft away).

4. connected the power amp to the preamp with the preamp power OFF : "de .... de....de..." noise the same as the situation of above point 2.

With input grounded and no noise, it means the source of noise cannot be from the power amp itself. This is further substantiated by the fact that when the preamp is switched on and connected, you get the hissing sound, meaning the noise is coming from the preamp. As Yves said, probably the gain of the power amp is so high, it is amplifying the low-level noise from the preamp to audible levels. Your solid state amp may not be doing that because it may have a lower input impedance and therefore causing a loss of the higher frequencies due to Miller capacitance of input stage, hence attenuation of the noise.

The "de...de...de..." sound that occurs with RCA jacks connected or even with the preamp turned off is because the cables are probably picking up some stray noise in its "ungrounded" form (happens on my system too), with too high an input sensitivity. I just make sure my preamps/inputs are all turned on and running before I turn on my poweramp.

I was tried to remove the cathode bypass capacitor from the input tube and all the white noise have gone but it do lose lot of mid and low....

This doesn't make sense. I can't see any reason that removal of the cathode bypass should affect frequency response - at least not low frequency response. And it won't change the output impedance of the stage enough to affect HF response for the following stage.

If you remove the cathode bypass caps for both gain stages, you should reduce the gain to something pretty reasonable. It will reduce the psrr.

Sheldon

i have to clarify that I did not have the 100K V/R on my power amp... I replaced it with a 100K resistor.

However, I believed that the original design is a intergrate amplifier thus I installed a V/R again to test by what value that I could get a reasonable noise level.

I found that a 40K/60K has the good result on 6SN7 tubes while 60K/40K on the ECC32. I am not sure if it is a reasonable way that I replaced the 100K resistor with a 50K in series to the grid and the 50K to ground?

Any comment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.