• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My Wave Isn't Square.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, try to compensate this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1 brand X transformer with frequency problems, second brand Y with less problems but slighty lower frquency response.

This is the square wave brand X
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This brand Y

That 'brand X' has a 55KHz pole, 5dB isn't it? Did you try reversing polarity?

What were your test conditions?
- With terminated transformer secundary?
- Was the output of the generator terminated with it's characteristic output impedance?

Of course i did reversing, but that was not confirmed what the manufacture say. It is better reversed but all depends on the load.

btw, the biggest problem of this transformer was not the high frequencies but the low frequencies. To less induction for small (it was line stage interstage 1:5) signals.

That 'brand X' has a 55KHz pole, 5dB isn't it? Did you try reversing polarity?

What were your test conditions?
- With terminated transformer secundary?
- Was the output of the generator terminated with it's characteristic output impedance?

Your test conditions?
Can you confirm what LinuksGuru has to say about transformer testing..

I must make my previous post more clear. As far as I remember discussion was bout square-wave test of an audio transformer at LOW frequencies. That test is really useless, completely.

Test at several KHz does make some sense. Overshoot size is correlated to stray capacitance (please correct me if I'm wrong here), and ringing - to resonance because of combination of stray capacitance and leakage inductance.
Yet its better to just measure lowest resonant frequency with sinewave. If its around 50 KHz or even below - Houston, we've had a problem.

If you mean with compleet useless that using a sinus is a beter way to test the low frequency range, i agree, but there is information in low frequency square waves.

I prefer resonance >200kHz or even better, well damped.

I must make my previous post more clear. As far as I remember discussion was bout square-wave test of an audio transformer at LOW frequencies. That test is really useless, completely.

Test at several KHz does make some sense. Overshoot size is correlated to stray capacitance (please correct me if I'm wrong here), and ringing - to resonance because of combination of stray capacitance and leakage inductance.
Yet its better to just measure lowest resonant frequency with sinewave. If its around 50 KHz or even below - Houston, we've had a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.