• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Soft start for a preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I'm trying to figure this out.
EZ80 are listed to have a 0.6A heater current and are 6.3V. Low current is good because it'll burn off less wattage and be easier on the trafo.

I estimate the circuit to need 26mA per rectifier bridge but really, depending on how the psu reacts to the circuit anything between 20 - 32mA should be ok.
I aim for a 150VDC but I'm a n0ob so I expect things might not work out a 100% as I hope. Anything between 125-175V should work?

Looking at the chart for the EZ80 the plate voltage should be 11V.
150VAC -> 212VDC
A hybrid bridge should give me a 12V drop?
A full tube bridge should give me a 22V drop. Since I'm aiming for 150V this is a good thing.

Ditching the hybrid bridge idea...
212-22=190VDC after the bridge.
Since I don't know how to design psu's using inductors I'll stick to the CRC for now.
The initial capacitor can't exceed 50uF according to the EZ80 specs.
My initial psu should roughly have a initial 1.2V ripple after C1 and the following RC filter roughly 42dB attenuation on 100Hz noice I think.
Redoing the math I could probably get a cheaper build going for a multistage filter and I could change the 220uF cap to a 50uF?

Am I doing ok so far?
Please tell me if I'm doing it all wrong.
If any of you have a better solution I'm interested in seeing it. :)
Since I'm not familiar with CLC filters It's hard for me to draw anything up?

I'm not entirely sure of the input impedance (seen by the bridge psu's) of the circlotron circuit? So far I've been assuming 7k7 (maybe a little lower since I'm going for 150V?) or maybe 10k7 Ohm? (Since I'm DC grounding the cathodes with 1k5 resistors.)

I appreciate any advice you can spare. :)
Sometimes at the time, I just don't know what to do with the advice due to my lack of expertice. But I still appreciate it and just need a little time to properly absorb it. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.