• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where you buy iron transformer core for DIY audio transformer

Good day to everyone.

Can anybody say where I can buy C-Core for DIY transformer in US. I cannot find it anywhere except some unspecified iron on ebay or from China where I need to order hundred cores at once.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Can anybody say where I can buy C-Core for DIY transformer in US. I cannot find it anywhere except some unspecified iron on ebay or from China where I need to order hundred cores at once.

Over here it's a matter of paying one of local transformer winders a visit. They can order all sorts of material (type, size and shape) but in the end it's cheaper to order a complete transformer, wound per specification.

Don't you have transformer winding companies over there ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a few dozen of SG76(110VA 50Hz) and SG89 cores (220VA 50Hz)
If someone is interrested please mail me at messmer@kolumbus.fi.
No coilformers, no mountingmaterials. Most of the cores are number-matched precision grinded and surface-protected, manufacurer SILICORE (american?), strip is 0.27 or 0.3mm grain orientated. A few nmatched core-halves are good for chokes or OPTs.
If someone has a source for coilformers please let me know.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a few dozen of SG76(110VA 50Hz) and SG89 cores (220VA 50Hz)
If someone is interrested please mail me at messmer@kolumbus.fi.
No coilformers, no mountingmaterials. Most of the cores are number-matched precision grinded and surface-protected, manufacurer SILICORE (american?), strip is 0.27 or 0.3mm grain orientated. A few nmatched core-halves are good for chokes or OPTs.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a few dozen SG89/38 cores (220VA 50Hz)

No coilformers, no mountingmaterials. Most of the cores are number-matched precision grinded and surface-protected, manufacurer SILICORE (american?), strip is 0.27 or 0.3mm grain orientated.

Only about a dozen, mostly unmatched, SG89/38 cores left.
Still good for chokes or OPTs with airgap

If interrested please use my new mailadress <petermessmer53@gmail.com>