• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Show off your P2P wiring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to get myself spun up for my first P2P attempt on a tube amp and I'd love to see some shots of how others have done this. Close up shots of the business side of any of your tube projects would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see what the newbies have done, and the experts.

This is a gizzards view of a 200-watt guitar amplifier I built about two years ago. A fellow member of an Australian guitar forum challenged me to recreate one of the amplifiers I used to build in the 1970's, and this was the result.

wiring6.jpg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Phono preamp with passive RIAA eq.using 12AX7, 6SL7, 6SN7. (External p.supply using EZ80, C-L-C-L-C filtering, HV and heater stab. not shown)

Hello Marino!! from reading your bio information it looks as if you are new here and I take this opportunity to give you a warm Welcome to diyAudio!!!:D:D:D

Stunning work on the amplifier. Absolutely well thought out and the construction shows the builder (yourself?) has many years of training and experience. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! :worship:

BTW - I have 40+ years building, repairing, modifying, and overhauling to "like new" condition electronics stuff and learned my licks on tube circuits. I was trained to solder to NASA standards and also ran the Quality Control department in my later years - So my assessment of your skills comes from one who knows.....;)

artosalo - I just saw your post over in the other thread - great work you have done!!! Wonderful!!!

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is a picture of my newbie P2p

Great work SG - plus it shows one of the "little tricks" used by those in the know - that of having a "layout" of the circuit and placement of components.

Sorta reminds me of and electronic "paint by the numbers" kinda thing - except I suspect that you created the "original art". :D:D:D:D

I remember when we used to make up wiring harnesses - a sheet of plywood - trace out the circuits onto the plywood - drive in some nails (small heads on the nails) and learning how to "lace" the harness. Man - did I make a buncha doz things!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the "roadmap". At work I make them for test fixtures and SMD circuit boards. Sometimes they are simple pencil on paper shoved through the scanner and emailed. Other times they are elaborate Powerpoint slides in multiple colors. That depends on the target audience. They are all called "the Big Dumb Blonde Ones guide to hookin s*%t up", or just the BDBO diagram. Often my tube stuff is made up as I go along, but I do make diagrams sometimes. Other times I take detailed pictures of my experiments so I ca recreate them later.

Here is an example of how NOT to do PTP. The miracle is that it worked on the first try. Now anyone care to duplicate it?

Attachments

• Working_Setup.jpg
    Working_Setup.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 815
Here's another example of how not to do point to point. The amazing thing is the 47P-P amp has been in almost continuous use since 2003. Currently it is driving the tweeters in the main system.

The only failures have been the mica washers on the heatsinks of the output stage CCSs. The mica washers would start to break down and get leaky but not short. PITA to try and figure out where the current was going that it was not supposed to.

The failing mica washers is one of the main reasons that I try to use fully encapsulated parts now. You lose some power capability but you gain safety and long term stability.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Topside-
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello Marino!! from reading your bio information it looks as if you are new here and I take this opportunity to give you a warm Welcome to diyAudio!!!:D:D:D

Stunning work on the amplifier. Absolutely well thought out and the construction shows the builder (yourself?) has many years of training and experience. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! :worship:

BTW - I have 40+ years building, repairing, modifying, and overhauling to "like new" condition electronics stuff and learned my licks on tube circuits. I was trained to solder to NASA standards and also ran the Quality Control department in my later years - So my assessment of your skills comes from one who knows.....;)

artosalo - I just saw your post over in the other thread - great work you have done!!! Wonderful!!!

Glad to hear you like it!
New on a forum, but 38 years of experience.
Picture show one of three pieces made from January till October 2010. Prototype is still sweet sounding in my audio system while other 2 pieces were sold. I'm using it with a Benz Micro Ace LS on my Linn Sondek with Alphason Delta arm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.