• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Flea-power class-A2 using a power opamp driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
classa2.jpg

I always wanted to try using a power opamp as a class A2 driver. I finally got around to some experiments. I managed to have some sucess, especially using a 1636 (ala Darling amp) to get ~1.2W out. Still experimenting - I need to try push-pull, and some different tubes. Here's the info:

Class-A2 and a power opamp driver

Let me know if you can think of any candidate tubes. The power opamp can only put out about +/-36V @ 50mA, so stuff like 811's are not workable. So far I've tried the 1636, 2E26 (OK but not a lot of advantage over A1), and 6V6/6L6/6W6 (worse than A1). Seems like some of the newer semi-useless 9-pin-mini RF tubes might do well here?

Pete

Small power valves were usually either:
- not intended to take grid current, so the grid may overheat
or
- intended for Class C, so not especially linear

Exceptions are QQV series tetrodes (e.g. 6360 in USA), which have a rugged grid for Class C but are also intended for linear applications (mainly AB1). Another possibility is 5B/254M, but I would expect that to behave like a 6L6 or 807.

I am planning to build a se amp with a 1619 dht in triode mode. The datasheet shows the positive grid curves for the pentode mode. I manually checked out the triode connection in the a2 region and it looks promising. A +_25v swing with 2k load goes from 135 ma to 20ma. 180v,0 bias and 70ma quiescent current.

Alfredo

The 3C24 looks like a great candidate. It could be zero-biased with symmetric grid swing, 550V B+ or so, and putting out 4-5 W Po, but needing an 18K Zpri. It may still want some feedback, but that should be easy to arrange with the opamp. The quiescent power at ~14W should light up the anode a little.

Cheers,

Michael

Attachments

• 3c24-ccloadline.JPG
    3c24-ccloadline.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 695
  • 3c24-1.jpg
    3c24-1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 666
Tried a few more tubes in SE this morning:

2C34 / RK34 / DET19 (both sections in parallel): Very promising... B+ 200V, VP ~180V, IP ~ 60mA, zero bias, 2.5k plate load - 1.4% THD @ 1W, 3.3W at 5% THD. I tried cathode bias and upping B+ but performance was worse.

3C24: Need higher impedance OPT and maybe higher voltage, but... at B+ = 400V, IP ~ 30mA, zero bias, 7k load - about 4% THD at 1W.

703A: Can't believe it can really live long at 20W dissipation on that tiny plate... B+ = 300V, IP ~ 70mA, zero bias, 7k load - 3.3% THD @ 1W, 5% @ 2.2W

6360 (triode connected, both sides in parallel): Needed to add 500 ohms cathode bias... B+ = 300V, IP ~ 50mA - 1W THD 2.8%, 5% @ 2.8W

Attachments

• rk34.jpg
    rk34.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 642
[IM[/IMG]

I always wanted to try using a power opamp as a class A2 driver. I finally got around to some experiments. I managed to have some sucess, especially using a 1636 (ala Darling amp) to get ~1.2W out. Still experimenting - I need to try push-pull, and some different tubes. Here's the info:

Class-A2 and a power opamp driver

Let me know if you can think of any candidate tubes. The power opamp can only put out about +/-36V @ 50mA, so stuff like 811's are not workable. So far I've tried the 1636, 2E26 (OK but not a lot of advantage over A1), and 6V6/6L6/6W6 (worse than A1). Seems like some of the newer semi-useless 9-pin-mini RF tubes might do well here?

Pete
Hello Pete.
If you want Flea power in a cool old bottle try a 6G6G.
DT
All just for Fun!

Last edited:
Tried push-pull-parallel 2C34/RK34's. One opamp set up inverting and the other non-inverting, with gains of 24. Zero bias, 175V on the plates for about 10W dissipation per tube... 8k plate-to-plate (it's what I have sitting around).

Without making any effort to balance or match tubes, 0.5% THD @ 1 watt and about 7 watts at clipping (output tubes, not opamps were clipping at this level).

I need another power amp like I need a hole in the head, but I think I will have to build a real amp using this and a 1641/RK-60 rectifier (another 2-cap tube). Maybe I should call it "Mickey"...

Using NOS plate caps and sockets, the caps and sockets will cost double what the entire tube compliment costs. RK-34 / 2C34's are going for $4.00 each...

BTW, data is here http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/081/r/RK34.pdf and here http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/139/d/DET19.pdf
Pete

Attachments

• rk34pp.jpg
    rk34pp.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 589
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.