• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6n6p headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all

Just sourced 4 pr NOS ( 1965 ) of these tubes for a SESS tube headphone amp ala Ciuffoli. I'll breadboard the circuit with the OPT in house, a Transcendar w/ a 5K primary - 4/8 ohm secondary.

To get started, I thought I'd use the chassis and power supply from my Decware ZSLA-1 Sig. It's SS and is about 440v before the filter sections. I'm going to hit the tubes w/ 120v@30ma, so I've got a lot of voltage to drop. I could use CRCRC to get it down, RLCLC ( I've got a 10H and a 5H choke in house ),or CRC- CCS - OD3 - RC.

I'm kind of leaning toward the shunt gas reg set-up, as I understand it is effective at isolating the power supply noise from the circuit. Being a newbie I need all the help I can get.

Eventually I'll build a new supply using a transfo that starts off closer to my target voltage. It's just that I already have everything in house to do any of the above, so I thought I'd start playing around to hear how the circuit sounds.

So my question.

Basically, since I'm using an OPT designed for an EL84, I'm building a very low powered spud amp. I remember reading that regulated power supplies are great with low signal level stages, however they tend to suck the life out of the music if used in an output stage. I haven't got a clue myself, so I'd like to rely on the collective wisdom of this group. If your collective experience indicates that I should shy away from the gas regs in this set-up, I won't waste time breadboarding it. Likewise, if there is a significant advantage/disadvantage to employing either of the other two options, I'd like to hear it. Feel free to throw some theory in if you wish. I'm actually starting to understand it a little.

I thank you all in advance for your help and advice.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.