• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 SE Complete Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, that is the latest except for the addition of the LED driver tube bias option.

I have attached the info for that. Whether it sounds "better" with LED bias or conventional RC bias is a personal preference.

There are a couple of other versions of the circuit, one includes plate-to-plate feedback which in my opinion slightly degrades the "open" sound of the amp.

It is important to use the LC filters for the driver tube plates, instead RC filters like in some versions.

Attachments

• LEDbias.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 190
  • LEDbiasinstructions.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Scott. I am considering scratch building this design with an Allied 6K7VG power transformer and Edcor GXSE15-6-5K output transformers. Will that iron work pretty well? I already have the 5U4GB and KT88's. I also have some 6DJ8s that might work in place of the 6N1P.

Yes, that iron will work well. You will get better frequency response if you use the Edcor CXSE version, although at a substantial cost difference. I used the GXSE in my first build of this version and they do sound good. I believe user "skippyboy" is using the GXSE. Maybe he will chime in here.

Definitely do not use the 6DJ8 in place of the 6N1P for this design. If you need a 6N1P-EV, send me a PM. We can work something out. I have a bunch of them.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I am considering scratch building this design with an Allied 6K7VG power transformer and Edcor GXSE15-6-5K output transformers. Will that iron work pretty well? I already have the 5U4GB and KT88's. I also have some 6DJ8s that might work in place of the 6N1P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.