Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

KT88 SE Complete Kit
KT88 SE Complete Kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2012, 03:38 PM   #241
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

KT88 SE Complete Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
Either that or electroplating it, or using a chemical reaction.
various finishes and colors are possible today with alu

I have tried something different with alu
wetsanding
then thin coat of metallic spray color
and finish with clear coating laquer
looks quite good, and very strong
and its not so difficult either
Old 27th November 2012, 03:42 PM   #242
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

See below:
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish

Last edited by freax; 27th November 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:56 PM   #243
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

BINGO: Do It Yourself Spray On Chrome Metalizing Kit Airbrush Spray Metal Plating | eBay

Spray On Chrome Metalizing Process Step By Step - YouTube!
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish
Old 27th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #244
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i wrote a long and very well detailed reply to this but your bulletin board software kicked me off and now its lost to the ages, oh well screw it.
The only forum that I have is hosted right here on diyAudio. I don't know if there is a maximum post size. Some other forums won't eat a really long post.

Quote:
I wish Scott luck, but this economy sucks! Tubelab sales have never been this bad. In 2008 I sold about 10 boards a week. Now I sell 1.
Now down to 1 or 2 per month. Our friends who have been in the hobby model aircraft business have recently ceased operations after 15 years of success. My wife and my acountant are both suggesting I do the same.

Quote:
People are consumers nowdays, not thinkers,
You should have seen the lines outside Walmart and Best Buy last Friday. They needed cops to keep people from fighting over TV's and Wii U.

Quote:
Polishing like that takes a lot of work.....I meant, always use gloves when touching it after the polishing is done.....I'll be needing to give it a thin clear coat
I have seen aluminum polished to give a near mirror finish. Within a week it lost its shine, and within a month it looked dull. At least here in south Florida the high heat and humidity will cause oxidation so start immediately and the finish will dull. It can be restored with automotive polishing compound and protected with automobile paste wax.

You will need some kind of coating, but I have not achieved good results with Krylon Crystal Clear.....it just wasn't clear. I wound up using a Stonecraft coating that looked like Granite.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:35 PM   #245
scott17 is offline scott17
diyAudio Member

I polished the capacitors shown in post #151 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...ml#post3259336 with aluminum/chrome car polish.

The finish has lasted for about 8 months with no dulling, however I have not touched them. I'm about 1/2 mile from Jamaica Bay, but an indoor environment of course.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:58 AM   #246
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

thanks for that guys, it certianly seems like the cheaper option than a $300 chrome kit.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #247
bayermar is offline bayermar  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would like to suggest again to think about copper sheet metal. That can be polished easily to a mirror-like finish (at least it worked for me with wet sandpaper and a polishing wheel on the power drill) - I was never really satisfied when trying the same with aluminum.
If you don't like the slightly redish finish of copper, you could always bring it to a professional shop to electro-plate it with nickel or chrome. Check out your area, usually the next shop that can do the job is not so far away (think chrome-plating parts for automobile repair) and they might do it surprisingly cheap if you give them some time and a tip.
In my case, I did not coat it at all. The shining surface stayed perfect, just the color changed to a deeper red (until my two-year old son got interested in it - now it has lost all shine and would need extensive re-polishing).

Best,
Martin
Old 28th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #248
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

KT88 SE Complete Kit
funny, I think 'non-polished' copper looks the best of all metals and 'very convenient' too

'acid-stained' copper can also have a charming antique look
but not exactly in line with the polished shine
Old 28th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #249
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

i am considering going down to the local hardware store and buying a large sheet of copper for $50, its not very thick at all.

this will go over the top and the front and back, bent by hand, copper is fairly soft so i might be able to pull this off with a rubber mallet and some fabric inbetween..

let me know what you guys think.

I will have to wait for the chassis to arrive before I can consider it, and then i need to buy a hole punch kit if im going to go with it.

I like the simplicity of simply polishing the chassis as is though and will try doing that first, the copper plate idea will be a backup.

Last edited by freax; 28th November 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 29th November 2012, 02:23 AM   #250
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want to see how mine turned out, see posts #55 and #59 on this page:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...ter-kit-6.html

The top plate was aluminum. I went from 400 to 800 to 1200 to 1500 and finally 2000 grit. And I finished with an aluminum polish rubbed in, then wiped clean and buffed with lint free cloths. The surface was very smooth, but even with that, you could see the direction of the sanding. As it was my first try, I'm sure there was room for improvement.

As others noted, bare aluminum will oxidize with exposure to the air, and the shine goes dull. Different clear coats are available -- lacquer, acrylic, etc. I chose acrylic.

Anyway, that's my example of aluminum sanded smooth, then an application of acrylic clear coat.

The sound is what's most important to me. I'm extremely happy with it. You'll be glad, too.

Last edited by Dave R; 29th November 2012 at 02:28 AM.

KT88 SE Complete KitHide this!Advertise here!