• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 SE Complete Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks good! I've been running the Abdellah amp for over two years now and am very happy with the sound. Nice to be able to roll different tubes also.
It's nice to see someone offering this in kit form as it's a good beginner project. Some people are a bit put off by the fabrication/metalwork aspect, it should sell pretty well.

You should add an option to use LED bias on the driver, after I switched my build to this I won't go back to RC. Just my preference, but a lot of people I've talked to prefer the sound. It would be a simple option to the kit.
JMTC

Glenn

I am also still using my build of this amp. I built this amp for some friends too.

Really nice design from Mikael Abdellah.

ive been eyeing that abdellah schematic for quite some time but never gotten out of the gate.

if you got something nice going then i'm interested depending on the $$$....

would a kit be ready and shipped before x-mas? this would make an enjoyable holiday project.

This project is still alive and I am working on it daily. The resistor, capacitor, connectors, etc. package is done. That's the easy part.

Getting a relatively aesthetic chassis made for a reasonable cost is one of the main objectives, and I'm close to getting that done.

The transformers will be custom and of high-quality. The current plan is to have them mount flat, like the photo of the chrome output transformers I previously posted.

I am reluctant at this time to offer pricing, but suffice it to say that the cost will be as fair as possible based on the quality of parts to be offered.

To have the kit ready for Christmas may be pushing it, can't promise anything.

Thanks for the interest, because this indeed is a fine sounding amp.

Scott

This project is still alive and I am working on it daily. The resistor, capacitor, connectors, etc. package is done. That's the easy part.

Getting a relatively aesthetic chassis made for a reasonable cost is one of the main objectives, and I'm close to getting that done.

The transformers will be custom and of high-quality. The current plan is to have them mount flat, like the photo of the chrome output transformers I previously posted.

I am reluctant at this time to offer pricing, but suffice it to say that the cost will be as fair as possible based on the quality of parts to be offered.

To have the kit ready for Christmas may be pushing it, can't promise anything.

Thanks for the interest, because this indeed is a fine sounding amp.

Scott

Sounds good. As I mentioned already, I am interested in this kit... don't forget the mains transformer primary options for 240V AC (Australia).

Boky

Kit Status

Please bear with me folks.

I really appreciate all the replies, but this project simply cannot be thrown together in a few weeks and meet the design criteria that I am sure you all would want to see. My original post was to find out what kind of interest there would be before I went through the design phase.

I want this project to be as affordable as possible, yet offer an aesthetically pleasing build factor. There are many tube amps that look similar. I would like for this kit to offer a little bit more in design and appearance.

I am doing my best to be able to provide the custom transformers in the laydown-style which will really streamline the appearance of the build.

I want to make sure that this doesn't drive the price up too high. I am still waiting on definitive answers from a few suppliers before I can make this decision. You must realize that I will have to purchase these in a fairly large quantity to keep the price down, so I want to be absolutely sure that I am making the right decision before committing.

Based on the information I receive concerning pricing, the amp may have to be offered with standard, stand-up mount transformers just to keep the kit price reasonable.

I have the chassis design fairly well complete, but need to finalize the transformer mounting.

I am still reluctant to piecemeal the information to you folks regarding cost, chassis design, etc., until I have the full picture. I think the project needs to be presented as a complete system for it to be fully understood & appreciated.

Thanks again,

Scott

Additional comment: I realize that I said I could provide pricing "in a few days". Where I'm from "a few" means more than two and less than five. Well I was wrong about that, I got a little over-zealous in thinking I could get these transformers designed and priced so quickly. For that I apologize.

Last edited:
Will you be offering a kit without the chassis aswell? Making the chassis is my favourite part on these kind of projects, so a kit with just the components would be great!

I can second this. Offering a version of the kit without the chassis is going to be one of the best ways to keep the price down, to sell a few kits quickly up front, and to get versions of your amp up and running. I do admire that you want this to be a complete package, but there are people on the forums that would love to do the chassis themselves too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.