• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Engineer's Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I just completed my version of Pete Millett's Engineer's Amp. I must say it's very nice to listen to. I removed the feedback after a listening session because I think it sounds better without. Thanks to Pete for making this circuit available. Excellent design. This amp was built as a studio monitor amp for Shawn Phillips.

Best regards,

Raymond Koonce

Attachments

• 6207.jpg
    6207.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 479
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I just completed my version of Pete Millett's Engineer's Amp. I must say it's very nice to listen to. I removed the feedback after a listening session because I think it sounds better without. Thanks to Pete for making this circuit available. Excellent design. This amp was built as a studio monitor amp for Shawn Phillips.

Best regards,

Raymond Koonce

Hi Ray,

I'm tempted to get in an order, errr, request, myself ;)

{For the others: I've actually touched and listened to this amp, or at least it's twin. Great amp!}

jan

we had a marketing campaign that ran for a couple of years here in NEw Zealand for a brand of local beer (Lion Red) the tag line was "Its red, like a fire engine!"

I immediately thought of it when I saw your build...

Sure as its not red like a communist with that line-up of components!

Great looking piece.

This is the first time I've built anything of this magnitude on a circuit board. The board-stuffing was easy, sort of like paint by numbers, but, no matter how many times you go over that check list, you're gonna leave something out. It was a real facepalm when I found it :-}
The chassis work went really quickly this time. I had a sheet metal shop bend the aluminum and weld in tabs for the ends and bottom cover. I cut all the holes. I had everything powder coated at a local firm. It went from raw chassis to red in four days.
Transformers are as specified on Pete's website from Edcor. Nice transformers and if you order the Engineer's Amp combo, you get a price break. I took the end bells off to have then powder coated and cut threaded rods and used acorn nuts for appearance when I put them back together.
This was a fun amp to build. It sounds great (I prefer it without feedback) on my Cornwalls, *really* loud!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.