• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Universal" octal amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am thinking of building a tube amp (actually a pair of monoblocks) and I was hoping I could make it universal so I can try the different output tubes.

I have a pair of 4K P-P OPT's with UL tap. (35% I think).

I was hoping to be able to use a design that allows for the different kinds of octal power tubes available with some minor modifications. I have some 6L6GC's, but I may want to put in KT88's or 6550's 5881's, EL34's EL156 maybe etc...

Is this possible? What would need to be changed for each tube (bias obviously... what else?) Is there such a design already?

Thanks. :)

That's a good idea actually. I do already have two xformers, 300-275-250-0-250-275-300 @250mA and with one 3A 6.3v winding. Pretty basic, but they'll probably do.

Thinking about using 4 6D22S diodes I have in bridge (ah the joys of single tube diodes).

If the xformers are too weak I'll use them for my EL84 project, which is next after this project. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.