• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can the 6S33S/6C33C be mounted horizontally?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone thought about mounting the 6S33S horizontally? I have some rack mount air force power supply chassis in which all of the tubes were mounted horizontally in a center cavity open on the top and the bottom. It seems such an arrangement could help keep the temperature down as heat is a common problem with these tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The data sheets I believe mention vertical operation only, and the filament/cathode assemblies in 6C33 run so hot that I suspect sagging and shorting to the grid is a real possibility. (The grid structure may also sag) Forced air cooling isn't going to reduce the cathode temperature at all, although with these it is not a bad idea under any circumstance provided the fan(s) used are quiet enough not to be distracting.

I think they are mounted horizontally in the radar system they were originally designed for, I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

edit: here it is:

Attachments

• 6C33C_military_3.jpg
    6C33C_military_3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 227
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've seen one of those at the MIT flea (hamfest) and asked the guy who owned it about the tube mounting arrangement, he indicated that they apparently needed fairly frequent service and ran very hot. I was amazed at how much stuff they packed into that box, and how nicely put together it was.

Regardless of military usage practices I think mounting these vertically is probably the safest bet despite their ability to survive short term high amplitude shocks. I'm not that sure about their long term mechanical integrity operated in any other position based on my admittedly limited experience with them.

The surplus tubes available today seem to come in several grades and I have had a significant number that were defective new out of the box. (Yes, with grid to cathode shorts due to a warped grid assembly - how it got that way I have no idea.)

Regardless of military usage practices I think mounting these vertically is probably the safest bet despite their ability to survive short term high amplitude shocks. I'm not that sure about their long term mechanical integrity operated in any other position based on my admittedly limited experience with them.

Up to 35g during the whole guaranteed lifetime.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.