Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

El Cheapo, builders thread
El Cheapo, builders thread
El Cheapo, builders thread Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 01:38 AM   #21
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

The 'AQ5 can take the B+. Don't forget the cathode resistor drop. What kills tubes is exceeding dissipation limits, not Volts. The big difference between an 'AQ5 and a 6V6 is screen grid fragility. That's why the g2 resistors are 1 KOhm, not 100 Ω.

FWIW, I suspect you have a "touchy" specimen.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:11 PM   #22
patrickcurran21 is offline patrickcurran21
diyAudio Member

Ah, thanks so much for the response
Old 27th April 2015, 08:34 PM   #23
Joku is offline Joku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Duttman View Post
Builders residing in "240" VAC zones can use the Triad power "iron" mentioned, as both the N-77U and the VPS24-1800 have dual primaries. Unfortunately, the Allied 6K27VF is strictly "120" VAC. Builders outside of North America need to find something else to power the B- rail. The requirements of the B- rail are modest. About 30 V., to power the CCS, and sufficient extra Volts to allow the 'T7 cathodes to follow the negative swings of the I/P signal. 40 V. should be plenty. Please observe that the schematic drops 90 V. of B- in resistors. The 6K27VF was chosen for its cost control virtues.
Sorry about resurrecting this old thread, but I finally started my "El Cheapo" project, and ordered the trafos.

Anyways, the 10k resistor between the cathodes of ECC81 and the constant current sink seems quite high, as this will cause 60V voltage loss with current of 6mA. In addition, if we assume B+ voltage of 355V, the 50k anode resistors on ECC81 will cause further voltage loss of 150V.

If I have B- voltage of say, 35 volts, would a smaller resistor, say 1k, be a better choice?

Last edited by Joku; 27th April 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 27th April 2015, 08:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Joku,

The resistor between the 'T7 cathodes and the CCS performs 2 functions: dropping B- volts, and thermally isolating the SS parts in the CCS from tube heat. With B- down at about 35 V., use a 100 ohm carbon film part, as you have no volts to spare. All your build needs is the thermal isolation.
Old 10th May 2015, 09:57 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I started assembling it, but I started to get some weird oscillation when the global negative feedback wire is attached to output. However, when I removed the wire closing the negative feedback loop, it seemed to work fine:

Any idea where I should start debugging? I'm using Hammond 1650F output transformers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150510_001.jpg (109.6 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150510_002.jpg (88.7 KB, 614 views)

Last edited by Joku; 10th May 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10th May 2015, 11:16 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You may have phasing wrong and are applying positive feedback. Try criss/crossing the O/P tube plate connections.
Old 16th May 2015, 07:10 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yes, that was it. Now the amp is constructed and working well. However, is it normal to have some blue glow in the tubes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg putkivahvari.jpg (124.3 KB, 534 views)
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:22 PM   #28
analogadikt is offline analogadikt  India
diyAudio Member

Have gone through this thread and have a question. The Z565 has been suggested as a good OPT to use for this. That is an U/L trafo but the schematic does not show any such connections. Is it to be used without any connections to those U/L taps?

Regards,

Anwesh
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:15 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

If you want the extra power UL mode yields, connect the 1 Kohm screen resistors to the UL taps, instead of the plates.

It is possible to add mode switches. If you do, change mode ONLY in the unpowered state.
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:16 PM   #30
analogadikt is offline analogadikt  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eli

Anwesh

El Cheapo, builders threadHide this!Advertise here!