• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Getting OPT in Japan?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're in Tokyo, take the JR? line to Akihabara,
to the Tokyo Radio Department, up the escalator
up one level, on the left is a transformer shop.

This was as of about 2 years ago.

and see ‚¨‚©‚°‚³‚Ü‚Å60”N�F“Œ‹žƒ‰ƒWƒIƒfƒp�[ƒg
(first picture is the building front - you'll need this)

and there are lots of shops in that area
selling all sorts of tube gear and parts.

good luck.

Bob

Have a look here:

Parts in Asia

I spend a fair amount of time in Japan. I am actually headed there this morning (from Taipei) and will be strolling around Akiba this afternoon...

For OPTs, the two shops I'd recommend are Noguchi Transformers (in the basement of the Tokyo Radio Department or TRD building) and Hino Audio, which is a couple of blocks from Akihabara station.

The prices in Japan are definitely lower than what I have seen charged in the US, at least for Tango and Tamura.

The guys at Noguchi cannot (or will not) speak English and are not very helpful. Basically if you know what model number you want you're OK. You can figure out what they have from their web site. At Hino the staff is helpful and at least one guy speaks good English.

If you're interested in bargain OPTs also check out the stalls under the tracks (Tokyo Radio Center). There is one transformer company (cannot remember the name) that sells their own brand of OPTs and chokes that are very economical, and at least the one I tried worked well.

You might also want to visit Classic Components, which is mostly a tube shop, but also has Tango transformers for a little cheaper than Noguchi (last Time I bought some, anyway). Hard to find the shop, but a really good selection of tubes, and some of the oddballs are priced reasonably.

Pete

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Pete - great resource your webpage is! Thanks for posting. Would love to visit those shops.
The page is very heavy, tho. Your image file sizes are much bigger than they need to be. Slow to load even on a fast connection - and may be costing you bandwidth, if your host charges for it.

I can fix that for you, if you like.

Slow to load even on a fast connection - and may be costing you bandwidth, if your host charges for it.

Nothing compared to the 1TB of book PDFs that get downloaded every month :)

The pics are big, but I think the bottleneck is my host. "Unlimited bandwidth" really means that they don't charge you per GB - it is still limited. So even small stuff can be slow to download sometimes, depending on traffic.

Pete

Have a look here:

Parts in Asia

If you're interested in bargain OPTs also check out the stalls under the tracks (Tokyo Radio Center). There is one transformer company (cannot remember the name) that sells their own brand of OPTs and chokes that are very economical, and at least the one I tried worked well.

Pete

It must be TOEI (pronounce like tow-A).

Kasuga Musen and Andix also sell their original transformers in an economical price range.

Yoshi

Noguchi Transformer

Greetings,

I believe that things have changed at Noguchi Transformer. In the first half of 2015 I contacted Noguchi Transformer via e-mail. I did my best to use a translator to communicate (English to Japanese does not translate well). Masataka responded kindly. Masataka was extremely helpful, polite, and communicative. I had a wonderful experience communicating with Masataka and purchasing Noguchi Transformers.

Noguchi Transformers - E-Mail Address

Below is Masataka Noguchi's, of Noguchi Transformer, e-mail address. Masataka is a very pleasant and nice person.

masataka <masataka-n@noguchi-trans.co.jp>

Masataka only speaks Japanese but may be able to communicate with you if you use a translator.

SUGGESTION: English to Japanese is not an easy translation. Try to use simple, direct, and short sentences. Compound, and complex, sentences do not always translate well.

Yamato Transportation publishes rates for standard size shipments and ships to the USA. Payment can be made via Bank Transfer (I used the XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority service).

I may be able to help in communications if needed.

The Finemet Nanocrystalline core transformers are exceptional. I know of no better. The Noguchi Transformers are also exceptionally well made. But this comes at a cost.

They are also a bit large so check the dimensions. If you have a special project, they are well worth looking into.

Good Listening!!!!!!

I have used proxy shopping services to buy Noguchi directly from Japan. I use J-Goods - low fees, simple and straight forward quote system and staff with good english communicational skills.

Noguchi Trans makes exceptionally good sounding Finemet transformers. I also use extensively their Finemet chokes!

Here's their current range using Finemet core: http://www.noguchi-trans.co.jp/digitalcatalog/main/fs801.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Noguchi closed down

Just an update to a rather old thread:

Noguchi transformers closed their (physical) store on Sep 29, 2018.
Fortunately the same space is now occupied bu gtrans that still carries Noguchi PowerMax iron, though for other brands there is very limited choice of what they have in stock.

I had a pair of these brought to me last week: PMF-20WS?

I was also tempted by TOEI prices (for example 2k-2.5k-3.5k-5k??4-8-16? 22W???????????? [OPT-22S-Z] - ??????????? ?????) but in the end just got a 10H-200mA choke (10H-200mA ?????????????? [CH-1020] - ??????????? ?????)

Without shipping charges this all looks rather attractive - a pair of decent OPTs and a sizable choke for under $300.

Had no luck with Hashimoto HC-203U (which is what I originally planned on getting) as nobody had it in stock though it could be ordered for delivery within 2-3 days at the price of around Y18K/piece. ISO FC-20S was available at Y22,950/piece (which is cheaper than what ISO show on their own web site) but I still opted for Noguchis as their sale price was 35% lower than ISO.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with dovla. I visited GTRANS last December got a pair of PMF-28P-5K, i was looking for HM7 hashimoto, but nobody has it in stock. I went to kasuga musen and ask, they said it was a custom order 2-3 weeks process.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.