• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MFA Lumi started "motor-boating" today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MFA Lumi started "motor-boating" today :) Any ideas what is causing it? I have the diagram. My thoughts are: 1) regulator tubes 2) filter caps 3) coupling caps 4) who the hell knows...

Attachments

• lumi.jpg
    lumi.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 141
I would check C35 & C36 for leaking....Going "high".
I would also drop a cap at pin three of your 6L6GC to ground, Appx 1.5uF400+VDC(The 'perfect' capacitor)..I'm suprized there wasn't one in the first place.
Just throwing ideas out.

______________________________________________________Rick.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
fixed - bad zener

vr3?

I capitalized the above reference designator, but the forum software all on its own has decided I shall NOT be allowed to do this alone.. :confused:

Oddly enough if I write an entire sentence I am allowed to do so, however a single word (reference designator) followed by a ? is not permitted.. Strange... :D

Last edited:
vr3?

I capitalized the above reference designator, but the forum software all on its own has decided I shall NOT be allowed to do this alone.. :confused:

Oddly enough if I write an entire sentence I am allowed to do so, however a single word (reference designator) followed by a ? is not permitted.. Strange... :D

No, VR2, one of the pair (chain) providing reference 340V dc voltage. I replaced them with a chain of five 68V zeners.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, VR2, one of the pair (chain) providing reference 340V dc voltage. I replaced them with a chain of five 68V zeners.

VR1 and VR2 actually clamp the voltage on the grid of the 6L6GC during warm up, when the 6EJ7 has fully warmed up and the feedback loop is closed you will see that the voltage at that point is below the zener threshold by some 40V or so depending on the condition of the particular 6L6GC and the line voltage.. They also will clamp the output voltage in the event the error amplifier tube (a 6EJ7) fails - in this case the output voltage will be much higher though than is the case for normal operation, however it is below the rated voltage of the caps that follow the regulator. (I've worked on a number of MFA Luminescence pre-amps over the last 15yrs or so..)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.