• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output transformer for PP EL34 source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are planning to spend $150 each or so, Electraprint , O-netics, maybe Magnequest, possibly Lundahl.

The question is, what does your taste in reproduced music run to. Not the type of music, but the type of reproduction.

With Edcore and Hammond you will get a well balanced sound, quite musical, but not a great deal of inner note structure and a modest amount of compression on transients. Not in the least unpleasent to listen to.

With Electraprint you will get the same general balance, with more inner note tone gradient and somewhat less compression on transients.

With Lundahl you will get a much more vivid tonal portrayal, but not with an equal amount of internal note gradient info, great transient response and an overall clean, clear, low distortion presentation, a very European sound if you will.

O-Netics will provide a fire hose of information, with gradient information within everything, including transients. Very clear and complete, without compression on transients, but with a slightly softer sound than Lundahl due to slightly higher distortion. Known for extraordinary detail in Bass and Treble.

Magnequest will provide the classic Peerless transformer sound, very musical with great midrange tone and clarity, but with some roll off on both ends of the FR band. A very sweet musical presentation.

Bud

I only have limited experience there. The older Tamura and a couple of Tango OPT's I have heard were very close in overall character to Electraprint. The one Hashimoto leans towards O-Netics, with a bit less color and not as clean an extension on transients, which are not negatives by the way. All four of them were capable of great musical beauty.

Bud

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
While looking for output transformers for a PP EL34 amplifier I find Audio Note. Beside AN who else should I look at? I look for the kind of quality so I don't want to change the transformers later on.

Unless I am mistaken you are in Denmark so it seems that Lundahl from Sweden should be pretty high on your list.. IMO They are amongst the very best choices technically speaking and should not be insanely expensive compared to a lot of foreign imports.

Lundahl here: Lundahl Transformers, audio transformer and tube amplifier transformer manufacturer

Another to consider would be AE here: Automatic Electric Europe good stuff as well IMO..

Bartolucci of Italy also makes great transformers: Bartolucci

With all the help I'm getting here I'm not afraid to start my project. Seems like I can post my questions and expect an good answer. Thanks all!

I'm into this because I think its fun. But mostly because I like music and I like to select my music before looking af recording quality. But with my ICEPower I can't stand listening to many of my favorite recordings.

Can anyone comment on the differens between Lundahl and AN?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.