• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

B&K Dyna-Quik 500 shows good tubes as Shorted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this tester today, she's not pretty, but supposedly works. It shows every 12AX7/12AU7/12AT7 as Shorted, even ones I know are good (e.g., tubes bought recently from Jim McShane).

Saw another one of these that sold on Headfi.org that had the same problem. Any one got any ideas why the false Short results are happening? Might it have something to do with the 3 aging polar electrolytic caps under the socket board? I ask because IIRC the Short light doesn't light up immediately.

Follow up question - The 6DJ8 tube is not listed on the tube sheet inside the top lid (or a 6BQ5 for that matter). Does anyone know how these two tube types can be checked with this model tester?

Excessive internal leakage from humidity and moisture will cause an early short condition as will out of tolerance componets. Also be aware that dual triodes like the 12AX7 are tested with their sections in parallel. Apparently to save time and cost. Here is some info I found on this forum.

David Campbells instructions:
-------------
Signal Voltage adjustment (Test Switch in Gm position)
Set to 1.0 volt AC at terminal 5 of the wiring block on the top section of sockets to terminal 1 (gnd), Terminal 1 is most near socket 7. The terminals are numbered 1 through 12 on the schematic. This AC voltage is adjusted by R-14 which has yellow, black and orange wires attached, and mounted left of another Potentiometer when the meter is facing you under the top section of sockets mounted to the bottom of the tester. Terminal 5 is the low bias -2.5VDC voltage terminal, i.e. at that terminal you have both a DC bias and an AC signal voltage. See the following pictures for Terminal and Pot locations.
-----------------
DC BIAS Adjustment (Test Switch in Gm position)
Proper DC bias at terminals 5, 6, 7 to terminal 1 (gnd) is accomplished by adjusting the R-9 potentiometer which is positioned just right of R-14. Set a voltmeter to DC volts; connect between terminals 5, to gnd (set this voltage to -2.5VDC, terminal 6 and 7 voltage adjustment is done when terminal 5 is set.

Terminal 5 is -2.5volts, Terminal 6 is -7.5 volts, Terminal 7 is -13.0 volts
-------------------------
Balance Control Adjustment (Test Switch in Gm position)
Connect a 6k ohm 10 watt resistor between terminal 10 (plate) and terminal 1 (gnd) with Sensitivity Control set to 100. Adjust R-19 so that you get zero reading on the tube tester meter. R19 access hole is left of the 6AT6 tube under the top section of sockets.
------------------------
Short Sensitivity (Test Switch in Short position)
I don’t see any adjustment for this (No more Pots). You can check to see if it’s working by inserting a 1 Meg ohm resistor between pins 2 and 4 of socket 7A and looking at the shorts lamp. This lamp must be a NE-51 for the circuit to work properly.
------------------------
Gas Sensitivity (Test Switch in Gas position)
Again, I don’t see any adjustment for this (No more Pots again). You can check this by inserting a 20 Meg ohm resistor between pins 1 and 2 of socket 7A and seeing the meter move to about 2000 on the black Gm scale. On my tester, the reading was about 1800.
------------------------
Filament Voltage Check
I checked each of the voltages for the filaments with no tubes installed first. They were each slightly higher then the settings. I then checked the 6v setting with a 5881 tube which takes about .9 amps of heater current. I measured 6.1 volts, which indicates that the transformer is working well.

------------------------
Short Sensitivity (Test Switch in Short position)
I don’t see any adjustment for this (No more Pots). You can check to see if it’s working by inserting a 1 Meg ohm resistor between pins 2 and 4 of socket 7A and looking at the shorts lamp. This lamp must be a NE-51 for the circuit to work properly.

Hollow State,

The operating manual for the 500 tester says this lamp must be a No. 44. Are you certain this calibration procedure is for a B&K Dyna-Quik 500? I searched the Tube forum and couldn't find the post that contained this info.

These early B&K testers used three #44 incandescent lamps. One as the pilot and two more in the Gm balance circuit underneath. In normal operation the two in the balance circuit will both light up dimly when a tube is tested. Since both the base and bulb type are the same for a 44 and NE-51, it is easy to mix them up if you look quickly at them. Be assured that the short lamp is a neon.

These early B&K testers used three #44 incandescent lamps. One as the pilot and two more in the Gm balance circuit underneath. In normal operation the two in the balance circuit will both light up dimly when a tube is tested. Since both the base and bulb type are the same for a 44 and NE-51, it is easy to mix them up if you look quickly at them. Be assured that the short lamp is a neon.

You are correct. My tester has three #44s and one NE-51. I misread the parts list earlier. Sorry about that.

The B&K 500 tester now has all new caps and 44 lamps. This solved the false short problem I was getting on every tube.

Tried the calibration procedure shown in an earlier response, but the potentiometers R( and R14 were frozen. Sprayed them with Deoxit and got them moving. But now they don't make any difference to the voltage readings measured between terminal 1 and 5. The AC voltage is supposed to be 1 volt, but is reading ~10 volts. The DC reading is supposed to be -2.5 volts, but is reading about -1 volt.

Would appreciate it if someone would recommend a new potentiometer I could buy to replace the existing ones. Also, I broke one of the No.44 lamps sockets and have temporarily fixed it. Is there a new lamp socket that can be purchased?

There is no setting to test a 6DJ8 on a B+K 500.
But if you ever find a B+K 610 adapter panel as found on some 650 models and a few 550, it can be used on the 500 and then you can test alot more tubes, including the 6DJ8 family.

I have an org. B+K 500 tube chart manual and it also has the settings for using the 610 adapter on the 500.

I do have instructions on how to wire up the 610 panel to a B+K 650.
But I don't have the instructions on how to wire up the 610 panel to a B+K 500.

Hi guys i have similar issue. my 9A socket shows all tubes to test GM below zero when sensitivity is applied. What i mean is the needle value will dip under Zero. i have tested 12AU7,12AX7, and 12AY7. Also I am a Noob to DIY'ing.I am completely self taught, but have restored an Ampex 600-2. I am capable of understanding just not wanted to warn you first. Any ideas?

The B&K 500 tester now has all new caps and 44 lamps. This solved the false short problem I was getting on every tube.

Tried the calibration procedure shown in an earlier response, but the potentiometers R( and R14 were frozen. Sprayed them with Deoxit and got them moving. But now they don't make any difference to the voltage readings measured between terminal 1 and 5. The AC voltage is supposed to be 1 volt, but is reading ~10 volts. The DC reading is supposed to be -2.5 volts, but is reading about -1 volt.

Would appreciate it if someone would recommend a new potentiometer I could buy to replace the existing ones. Also, I broke one of the No.44 lamps sockets and have temporarily fixed it. Is there a new lamp socket that can be purchased?

What's the description for the pots? Have you checked them with an ohmmeter? I don't know how you could get 10VAC - this is generated from the two-bulb circuit and is supposed to be somewhat independent of line voltage (bulb used a "current source"). I probably have some pots and bulb sockets - got a picture? But soldering bulbs will give the most repeatable readings. It's recommended that if you ever change the #44s, to use two from the same lot.

sorry

Hi guys i have similar issue. my 9A socket shows all tubes to test GM below zero when sensitivity is applied. What i mean is the needle value will dip under Zero. i have tested 12AU7,12AX7, and 12AY7. Also I am a Noob to DIY'ing.I am completely self taught, but have restored an Ampex 600-2. I am capable of understanding just not wanted to warn you first. Any ideas?

I'm sorry i should post my own thread.
Sorry about that everyone!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.