• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

use 120V x 2 for Aikido octal transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just received my Aikido all-in-one octal kit and am getting ready to assemble.

I bought the kit with no idea about what transformer I'd need but it looks like my existing 120V x 2 toroid I have powering my grounded grid would work with the secondaries in series.

I have a hazy recollection of reading somewhere on diyaudio that the secondaries had to be connected in a certain way otherwise the transformer would heat up or something bad would happen.

I did not mark the secondaries so that I know which end of the wire is the first winding layer and which is the last and it's all wrapped up in mylar tape.

Is this important to know? Is there a way to determine this without unwrapping the outer insulation?

Just received my Aikido all-in-one octal kit and am getting ready to assemble.

I bought the kit with no idea about what transformer I'd need but it looks like my existing 120V x 2 toroid I have powering my grounded grid would work with the secondaries in series.

I have a hazy recollection of reading somewhere on diyaudio that the secondaries had to be connected in a certain way otherwise the transformer would heat up or something bad would happen.

I did not mark the secondaries so that I know which end of the wire is the first winding layer and which is the last and it's all wrapped up in mylar tape.

Is this important to know? Is there a way to determine this without unwrapping the outer insulation?

Energize the primary with low voltage AC. Phase the secondary windings up using a multimeter. The correct series arrangement of the secondaries will yield "2X" the excitation voltage. The incorrect arrangement will yield "zero" Volts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.