• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin MC-10L Blown Fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all, I have been lurking on the forum for a while, I bought a Yaqin MC-10L in March last year and have been loving the sound since.
It is my first Valve amp so I am a music loving Noob.

Well until yesterday, I switched the amp on as normal, it was warming up while I looked for a CD, then there was a flash and the amp was dead.

The Input fuse is blown, but none of the tubes are blackened. I could change the input fuse and try switching on, but wondered what else I could check. I have removed the lid and there is evidence of anything to cause a flash.

The only thing that was different was that the amp was dusty and I brushed all the dust away with a brush a few hours before.

I have to repair this, I don't think I could go back to my old amp!

Hi Pouch,
I know there is a thread already on this forum dealing with Yaqin mc10 blowing fuses. Sorry but can't find it at the moment otherwise I'd post the link.

Off the top of my head I think the first suggestion was to make sure you are using anti-surge (slo-blo) fuses. Also seeing as you are in the UK is the mains input selector at the back of your amp set for 240v or 220v.

You may know this already, but it's worth saying just in case, Valve amps store high voltage energy and can zap you even when they are disconnected from the mains.

Best regards
Bill

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have reassembled tubes and changed fuse, the valve is working again and I have adjusted the Bias which were quite close.

Seems to be working fine?
I find it hard to imagine that the flash could have come from the fuse...

Now having read all the threads I can find, I may try some tubes to replace the 6N1.

Any advice on Tube suppliers in the UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.