• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SEPP design is it better then conventional PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SEPP

Hi,

What do you think would be the advantage of this topology over conventional push pull, if any.

Single Ended Push Pull (SEPP).
In SEPP the valves are lined up in series with respect to the DC standing current.
Signal input is to the lower valves which feeds an inverted signal to the grid of the upper one from its anode. The output is taken from the cathode of the upper valve (hence the low output impedance).
The net result is more power than for a straight single ended design, very low distortion, with a very low output impedance. This low output impedance is one of the keys to the amplifiers success - effectively 1/4 that of a classical push-pull arrangement as the valves are in parallel not series, with respect to output - and this allows the speakers to be driven effortlessly giving a crisp sound and good bass.

My own amps use this topology and I obviously like what it does.

Cheers,;)

Not neccessarily

Glass_painter said:
Hello everyone,

I was considering building something along the line of this SEPP design.
What do you think would be the advantage of this topology over conventional push pull, if any.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicHall/5687/MyAmp/6AN5SEP2.html

Thanks

Glass_painter

I just want to say, try it and see for yourself. I have a much simpler design by another member here (moronix) I can email you if you'd like in a 20k PDF.

As to being better than PP, depends entirely upon which implementation, and how well each topology is optimised in an individual case.

If you'd like to understand more about the SRPP/SEPP amplifier, please take a look at the excellent article by John Broskie at Tubecad

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SEPP.

Hi,

Frank, will you be able to post your SEPP designs or schematics here?

It's an OTL design.
My design hasn't been published for the simple reason that I need to piece all the sketches together and put that into one readable diagram.

If you do a search here on OTL you will find a number of circuit diagrams by other people.

Or, you can once more take a look at the Tubecad site for the principles of operation.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.