• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suitability of ECL84 tubes for audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any verdict on the Suitability of the ECL84/6DX8 for Audio?

I have come across an old KRIESLER Stereosonic console using 6DX8 tubes.
I am not sure about the sound yet, it needs some work...

I have traced the circut out (below).

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• 6dx8.png
    6dx8.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,534
I believe the 6GW8's are similar to ECL86?

Anyway I've found it to sound incredibly live in midrange lacking badly in high and real good in bass.

I've found things not evident in my transistor amp if that's what you're asking :p

It has a punch too, manages to drive my pair of 150 watt inefficienados in SE :D

It is more than likely a problem with the very old amplifier they are run in, however I would like to point out that I could hear 'some' noise, however distortion characteristics are excellent, not distorting until the upper end of the dial :)

They are both driven by a ... 6AN7A

Oh and they're all Mullard :p it's a full-Mullard amp.

I have thoughts every now and again of placing it all in another chassis with new components but right now until a cap blows it's playing as my AM set :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I believe the 6GW8's are similar to ECL86?

They are one and the same.

Actually an ECL86/6GW8 comprises 1/2 ECC83/12AX7A and a EL84/6BQ5 under one single glass umbrella.

Anyway I've found it to sound incredibly live in midrange lacking badly in high and real good in bass.

That may well be entirely circuit dependent, one can build excellent little amps with this kind of valves.

Cheers,;)

papanohn said:
Have you compare PCL84 sound with ECL82 or ECL86 ?

Not in that amp (it would not work correctly, not only because of different pin-outs, but also due to gross impedance mismatch).

But I have built SE amps, pentode sections triode strapped, with all of those types you mentioned (respectively their P-heater brothers). Some can be found on my homepage.

Keeping in mind that necessarily different driver circuits were used, and different OPTs too, it is a bit hard to compare the sound regarding the trioded pentode sections.

As a general direction, I feel the sound direction maps nicely to what can be read from the triode strapped plate curves; ECL82 being the least linear one and ECL86 being very linear. Actually, the pentode section of ECL86 can be viewed as a plate Pd derated EL84, indeed, and it just sounds as good as EL84 in any respect.

For the trioded ECL84 pentode section other interesting apps come to mind when you realize that µ, gm & rp are pretty close to 1/2 of ECC88/6DJ8, but it can take much more plate voltage and Pd.

Tom

As I'm currently a little low on money, I'm trying to do as much with what I've got as I can, and I just happened to realise that I have a box of 100 6DX8/ECL84 tubes sitting in a drawer. This thread seemed like a logical one to go from.

Although I will do my hand at P2P wiring if necessary, I would like to go from the most simple schematic as possible (also I happen to like simple circuits, seems better for the sound)

What I'm asking is, if you have a circuit for an ECL84, would you like to share it? I would like to make this into a nice small headphone amp, so I'm thinking outputs at 32/64/160 Ohms or something of that order. As a last note, is it that difficult to mod a 6BM8 circuit to accommodate the 6DX8 tube? Apart from 10K output transformer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Nic.

To be honest I have googled enough, but havent found a suitable schematic yet..

If there is anyone who has built a ECL84 based mini bedroom amp can you please post the schematic here? It would be so beneficial for newbies like me..

I'm not lazy, Its just that I need a schematic that is works. I live in a country where i cant even source or order a OT off the bat. I need to take specs and have something custom wound. On the same thoughts, I cant spend 100$ on OTs ordering them from a place like ebay US. I need to make do with a solid state power supply and not use a 6U4, cos there is no way I can source something like that. In fact If I lived in another country, would build an amp that would be totally different based on a different tube.

This is just a request, but if by any means I'm asking for too much; kindly ignore the post. If I could get hold of a schematic, I can work and post build
pictures and this thread could be a good resource for someone else in my boat.

Slightly off topic, but i have ECC84's and have no suitable audio circuit to build a hifi stereo tube preamp out of them. In fact, There is no schematic I could locate.

Any help please... Thanks.

Since tubes are never the most significant portion of the cost I strongly suggest you find a pair of output transformers first and then build the amplifier around them. Changing tubes for a different type may cost you a couple of dollars per tube but having OPTs wound to your specifications could cost 10x that much.

There is no need to use tube rectifier if you don't want to, solid state will work just fine.

When searching for schematics also search for all variants of the same tube (i.e. ECL84, PCL84, 6DX8, 15DX8, 6F4P).

I believe I posted the schematic I built on a breadboard, it should be optimised a bit but it is a starting point. I intended to do just that but then changed my choice of tube to PCL805 about halfway through due to parafeed connection and consequently low Va (as mentioned in another thread).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.