• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Post pics of your glowing tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Post pics of tubes glowing similar to these KT88's:

Kt88_power_tubes_in_traynor_yba200_amplifier.jpg

The first picture in the previous post is my 845SE amplifier operating normally in a dark room. Yes they are bright. The second picture shows a pair of well used Chinese 6L6GC's being tested an about twice thair normal operating conditions. This picture is 4 years old and these tubes are still alive and cranking out the tunes. The third picture shows some rather toasted looking 6BQ6GA tubes being really stress tested in a Simple SE. I must report that they lived through this test, but I did manage to kill them later in another experiment.

The first picture in this post shows an 833A operating at 250 watts, well within its capabilities. The red glow is competely normal in this tube. The second picture shows a gassy 211 tube. The blue glow is NOT normal and it caused damage to my amp. The third picture shows the death ray shooting through the plate of a TV damper tube. The tube already had a hole burned through the plate when I found it, so I decided to finish it off while taking pictures.

Attachments

• 833A_maxed.jpg
    833A_maxed.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 914
  • Blue_211.jpg
    Blue_211.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 447
  • BlueRay.jpg
    BlueRay.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 510
A Little more mundane:

Haven't mastered the art of holding a camera completely still ( I know about tripods... too easy). 4 0D3 and 2x 12b4 on my preamp. Not a KT88 or such put neat glow none the less.

Waiting for my iron to finish my 300B and Simple SE. I'll have some photo's of those later.

Hopefully nothing in these will be blowing up soon ;-)

Attachments

• DSC02112.JPG
    DSC02112.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC02108.JPG
    DSC02108.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 495
Attached is a pic of my "Shrine" SE amp with JFET/6C4 cascode inputs and 1625 UL outputs. Transformers (Edcor GXSE 5k) and a custom SMPS are inside the black cube. The 1625s I'm currently using are NOS RCAs - the glow from this pair was surprising. I also have some Sylvanias that I want to try, to see if they have even more glow. The pic is courtesy of a crappy Nikon point-and-shoot on a tripod. Its autofocus capability in dim light obviously leaves something to be desired.

Attachments

• shreine_glow1.jpg
    shreine_glow1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,148
Here is my "Kingfisher" P-P amp with hybrid JFET/triode diff cascode front end and 7591A outputs, using Fisher 500B power and output iron. The 7591As are from Electro-Harmonix. I've seen others with more blue glow. Pics are courtesy of same Nikon crappy point and shoot (I'm an old photo buff - I never thought I'd ever use "Nikon" and "crappy" in the same sentence).

Attachments

• king1.jpg
    king1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
Here is my SimpleSE with the two Russian 6P3S-e tubes all ablaze. I love the ring of light that gets thrown onto the amp surface. I'm just waiting on some Motor Run Caps and I'll post the finish amp.

BTW Rob, whereabouts in Australia are you?

You want glow? How much? Regular, hot and bothered, or flippin NUCLEAR!

Sweet mercy! I'd be scared to be within a kilometre of those things in case they went off! (So to speak...)

Attachments

• CIMG4068crop.jpg
    CIMG4068crop.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
I'm an old photo buff - I never thought I'd ever use "Nikon" and "crappy" in the same sentence

I am also an old time photo guy. I had a darkroom (became kids bedroom when she was born) doing Cibachrome and Ektacolor printing (35mm up to 6 X 9cm). The old Nikons were the best affordable cameras available. My first digital was a Nikon and it worked very well until one of the grandkids dropped it. Most of my older pictures were taken with that camera. All of my posts are now done with a Sony prosumer model equipped with Zeiss optics. Very good camera.

My credit card company informed me that my points were about to expire so I opted for a Nikon point and shoot camera. What a POS! I can't take a decent picture with that camera even on a tripod, and the batteries go dead after two weeks of being powered off. Nikons answer, "remove the batteries when not in use." No more Nikons for me.

I have been tempted to try a Canon EOS digital since my Canon film camera's lenses are supposed to fit it.

I have been tempted to try a Canon EOS digital since my Canon film camera's lenses are supposed to fit it.

IIRC, full-frame digital SLRs have really come down in price, so it makes sense to use older lenses now. Before, with the smaller digital sensor, it made focal lengths longer if you used lenses that were made for 35mm film.

I had a Contax RTSII with the Zeiss 50mm prime...loved that thing, if I could find a digital with that kind of build quality and form factor, I'd get one...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.