• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple Tube Mono Block Tube Amp Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Id like to know if any one can suggest some simple tube schematics for me, im looking to build something small & into 2 mono block's for my Ribbon tweeters, its just a project im going to take on for this winter, gather the parts and build, then tweek more and more after that. SINCE i'm new to tubes it will be a pretty good learning curve, im sure planet10 will help me at times but also let me learn some on my own.

I'm looking for something in the 5-10 watt range, i will be using my mini alephs to compare the sound plus use in the mix, id like to see what my css ribbon tweeters would sound like running on a nice tube amp.

I would require a low input gain, as i run passive pre-amp, also a design that has lots of room for improvements.

Thanks.

Not a monoblock design but one design I'd like to try as I have a set of SV83's. Very linear tubes and you don't need much power for tweeters.

6moons audio reviews: Decware Zen Taboo

Looks interesting but also pretty simple. Guess it could be modified to use as monoblocks.

looks simple and interesting, I like!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We started with an "as close as possible" to a Zen when we started our SE EL84 journey... 7 iterations later we ended up with a muvh better amp loosely looking like an RH84. Would work very well for tweetrs given iron optimized for HF. (of which i have a couple sets). I think for the AC tweeters Jase has i'd try triode first and live with the 2W.

dave

We started with an "as close as possible" to a Zen when we started our SE EL84 journey... 7 iterations later we ended up with a muvh better amp loosely looking like an RH84. Would work very well for tweetrs given iron optimized for HF. (of which i have a couple sets). I think for the AC tweeters Jase has i'd try triode first and live with the 2W.

dave

Maybe i can purchase some parts from you then :)

That isn't nearly the greatest design I've ever seen. I would take a look at the RH84 and similar designs - liable to be much better performers IMO.

Kevin, would you mind posting some schematics or links to one you recommend ?

something simple for a NEW B :) something i could learn with and change crucial parts to make better plus separate to make mono block's later on.!

J

I agree with the other Kevin ;-) You can do better with fewer parts in a simpler design.

I would look to invest the bulk of your funds on good quality output transformers as they will probably be the single greatest cost. Next would be the power supply... get good iron first, upgrading resistors, caps and circuit mods later is cheap by comparison.

Regards, KM

I agree with the other Kevin ;-) You can do better with fewer parts in a simpler design.

I would look to invest the bulk of your funds on good quality output transformers as they will probably be the single greatest cost. Next would be the power supply... get good iron first, upgrading resistors, caps and circuit mods later is cheap by comparison.

Regards, KM

Thanks :) i was told that same thing from dave long time ago, however now i need to find out where to get the iron and chokes & their cost's.

J'

Regards, KM

This design looks pretty simple to me, I like the layout of how easy it is to follow, still need to download tube pin outs and stuff as i have NO clue, im sure there are things in that schematic that are missing that im lost about too, ie filliment and heaters, but thats newb stuff :)

RH 84 - Tube Audio ...... RH DESIGN

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.