• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL86/PCL86 Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This one will give you in the ballpark of 3W at 1% THD with low Zout.

Attachments

• SchadeECL86SE.PNG
    SchadeECL86SE.PNG
    65.7 KB · Views: 4,646
Hi, I am new to this forum.

I also builded a E / PCL 86 SE Mono Block with EZ 81 rectifier.

This was for our THAI DIY Low Cost Project.

The price of the material should not exceed 10.000.- Thai Baht, around 200.- Euros.

The funny thing is, that the sound quality is very good.

A friend of mine has made me very good OPT for the E / PCL 86.

They are a little big but they deliver a nice bass.

It makes fun to listen to this Amps.

Attachments

• IMG_3066 copy 80.JPG
    IMG_3066 copy 80.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,945
  • IMG_3081 copy 80.JPG
    IMG_3081 copy 80.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 1,954
  • IMG_3205 copy 80.JPG
    IMG_3205 copy 80.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 516
Hi TubeKing,

F.e, this one by Bill Douroukis: amp, B+ supply, heater supply.

If too complicated, you can start to simplify the B+ supply.

Regards, Tom Schlangen

If you go for the triode-strapped mode without fb the current source for input triode could not be the best solution, IMHO. You can use some harmonic cancellation when approaching the max power and get a 1-2% THD at 1W and 4-5% at 2W with 350V supply!!
I have this amp with the PCL86. I use a 68K anode resistor for the input triode and 180K for grid of the triode-strapped pentode.
The output stage has fixed bias using the 14V winding of the filament (this can be done if you use the PCL86 only or if you use 12.6V and connect the filaments of two ECL86's in series).
The output transformer is 7K and the output tube works at 340V/22 mA. After 5 years it still works fine. No problems with the anode voltage higher than maximum rating of 300V.
The PCL86 brand is Polamp!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Bill Douroukis SE amp

You cannot go past the constant current source when it comes to running small signal tubes in utmost optimal conditions.
The constant current source reflects an infinite impedance (10's of megohms) load to the triode which dramatically improves distortion and the gain stage is optimal(mu = voltage gain). Also the triode is fixed with no fluctuation of power supply, hence any hum or noise is eliminated from signal path.
I have always used these constant current sources in conjunction with regulated power supplies and I do not use chokes in my supply at all (very heavy and large) with NO hum or noise induced.
Regards
Billy Douroukis..
P.S. sorry for the late input.

hello

HI Tubeman, thats exactly the same amp i have built. Very nice sound, schematic is known over here in germany

Hello

Nice to hat you also built this circuit... i built this circuit which u talk about...i have a lot of buzzing sound when i connect an aux cable... could you send me a few pictures of wiring and precautions u took against oscillations!

i could certainly use some help on this circuit that i built too after seeing it here.

BR

Amit

schematic for ecl86

You cannot go past the constant current source when it comes to running small signal tubes in utmost optimal conditions. <snip>
hi...i have been following some of your psosts and and very impressed with your know how on great many thing with tube amps...

i have a bunch of spare ecl86 tubes. the amp that i built isnt very clear nd has heavy distorttion on lower volume notes in the music/song... also i get a huge buzz the moment the aux cable is plugged in. the buzz is non stop and loud till the end is plugged into my cellphone. im getting solid loud volume though when i play music... the sound just isnt very clear. or clean. would u recommend a schematic thats very good?..i listen mostly to jazz.

BR
Amit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.