• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

simple preamp with e288cc suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have got a lot of spare parts in my junkbox. Since I have about five different power amps at the moment and only one preamp I was thinking of building a simple preamp with either the E188CC or the E288CC, got a lot of both of them but never used them. Also have some E88C's and E86C's but got only two of both of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple and reasonably sounding line level preamp with these tubes ?

I've got al the material for a double choked power supply with a 115-115 Volt transformer and 6X4 or 5Y3 rectifiers, either with polypropyleen or paper in oil caps. I've also got some Jensens 0,18uF and Mundorf Supreme caps lying around.

Anyone ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sjef said:
I have got a lot of spare parts in my junkbox. Since I have about five different power amps at the moment and only one preamp I was thinking of building a simple preamp with either the E188CC or the E288CC, got a lot of both of them but never used them. Also have some E88C's and E86C's but got only two of both of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple and reasonably sounding line level preamp with these tubes ?

I've got al the material for a double choked power supply with a 115-115 Volt transformer and 6X4 or 5Y3 rectifiers, either with polypropyleen or paper in oil caps. I've also got some Jensens 0,18uF and Mundorf Supreme caps lying around.

Anyone ?

without lookin' at particular UI lines (burried in my workshop) I can tel ya my experience with *CC88s- they like lotsa current and adequate voltage;
one of my WOT tryouts ( final is made with EC8010) was with both halves in paralel,25 mA and Ra of some 4K3.
sound was pretty good,especially when comparing with some bignamed origigi line preamps; they were just borring and lifeless .
that series of tubes is still cheap,and -again,even if most RATs almost hate them,my opinion is that they sing in right setup.
mebbe you can look at Shishido schmts with mentioned tube,then you will have good insight what I mean.

;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Choky, don't // valves unless you have no choice.

The E288CC is like a super ECC88, it's low noise, more linear and it sounds like a wet dream....

Now if only I could convince Sjef to send some my way...;)

I paralel that just because I don't have adequate (meaning on S) tube in particular moment.later I scavenged some EC8010,just right for purpose.
just by memory,I knew that 288 is 88 on steroids,that's why I mention 88 in first place.
hehe,by the way-convince him to send few in my way,too
:goodbad:

Sorry folks, I'm not going to sell any of them. First of all I don't know if they all work. I have them lying around for about 15 years now and never even tested them.

I tried a couple of E288cc's in my hybrid amp but they didn't sound as good as the siemens e88cc wich I'm using there. These are used with a solid state current source and that just didn't work right with the 288's. The 288 is no direct replacement for a 88, at least not in this case. I think it likes a lot more current.

I just want to build a line level preamp and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this tube and maybe has a good schematic. Was wondering what is the best sounding option, srpp, mu-stage, anode follower with or without cathode follower, cascode etc. I would have build it with choke load if I had any chokes

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I just want to build a line level preamp and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this tube and maybe has a good schematic. Was wondering what is the best sounding option, srpp, mu-stage, anode follower with or without cathode follower, cascode etc. I would have build it with choke load if I had any chokes

Assuming that the input impedance of your hybrid amp is rather low, say, 10 to 20K, an anode follower alone won't cut it unless you're prepared to keep IC cables very short and low capacitance.

You don't need much gain from a preamp, if any at all, so an SRPP with a stiff PSU would do fine.
Other than that it's probably best to use an af + cf.

I'll need to look at the datasheets for more detail but I expect you'll need a PSU capabel of handling at least 15mA per triode halve in the 150 to 200VDC range.

Cheers,;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sjef said:
Sorry folks, I'm not going to sell any of them. First of all I don't know if they all work. I have them lying around for about 15 years now and never even tested them.

I tried a couple of E288cc's in my hybrid amp but they didn't sound as good as the siemens e88cc wich I'm using there. These are used with a solid state current source and that just didn't work right with the 288's. The 288 is no direct replacement for a 88, at least not in this case. I think it likes a lot more current.

we are just kidding about donating those tubes.......

my wote goes for WOT preamp
there is my example with EC8010,so you can see principle (old as world itself!)

Attachments

• resize of choky's-wot-preamp.gif
    resize of choky's-wot-preamp.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 692
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.