• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Erwin, what's the current rating on the chokes? This will tell you whether shared chokes between L & R channel is possible or not.

Choke-input constructed B+ is definitely recommended.

Well Quasi-choke input anyway. So CLCLC, but with first cap only 0.47uF to 1.5uF (high quality polypropylene, NOT motor-run plastic-housed type). The LCR components PC/HV/S is my favourite in this position.

LCR COMPONENTS|PC/HV/S/WF 470NF 1KV|CAPACITOR, 470NF, 1000V | Farnell United Kingdom

First L should be the 10H (provided this has the highest current rating, preferably 20 - 30mA.

With 20H in the second choke position (rated 10mA+ I hope!) you can used high quality capacitors, without high values.

Hi Rod,

I don't understand why the first cap should have such a low value. Is this to protect the rectifier tube?

With the PT I have, a choke input would drop the B+ voltage too far. I was assuming 40uF / choke / 40 / choke / 40 plus various bypass caps. How would I integrate a 0.47uF into that? Does the ground lug of the small-value cap still function as the star ground for high-current stuff?

Last edited:
Hi Rod,

I don't understand why the first cap should have such a low value. Is this to protect the rectifier tube?

With the PT I have, a choke input would drop the B+ voltage too far. I was assuming 40uF / choke / 40 / choke / 40 plus various bypass caps. How would I integrate a 0.47uF into that? Does the ground lug of the small-value cap still function as the star ground for high-current stuff?

Hi, The reason for choosing choke-input is that the rectifier conducts for a longer part of the mains waveform.

This is kinder to the rectifiers, regulates better, and reduces electromagnetic emissions.

It is relative though, so if you need to have cap-input, just use a 40uF in place of the 0.47uF.

You can t"Tune" the output voltage of a CLC filter by adjusting the value of the first cap.

The lower the value of the first cap, the higher the output voltage and the more efficient the system becomes as the inductor actually stores energy temporarly and returns it to the system.

I thought the lower the value of the first cap, the lower the output voltage since you are going towards choke input which is near 1:1 rather than 1:1.4 with cap input. Am I not seeing something here?

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can t"Tune" the output voltage of a CLC filter by adjusting the value of the first cap.

The lower the value of the first cap, the higher the output voltage and the more efficient the system becomes as the inductor actually stores energy temporarly and returns it to the system.

I think they were discussing choke input filters with a small input capacitor to tweak the output voltage. In any event the inductor is storing energy in its magnetic field whenever load current flows. From direct experience this works and it is possible to adjust the output voltage over a range of about 0.9 to 1.4 times the rms value (not that I would over that range) depending on the capacitor used - but only with a supply intended to operate as a choke input. Note the above comments are predicated on the fact that the load current is above the inductor's critical current for regulation if not it behaves like a standard CLC filter.

Some old timers actually considered it to be bad form to use an input cap to trim the output voltage on a choke input filter. :D

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm happy, arrived today Yamamoto teflon UX sockets for 26, socket for AZ1 & tube Siemens AZ1 NOS:)

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC00050.jpg
    DSC00050.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 652
Last edited: