• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Attached pics of PSU heater regs 12V 50VA each transformer, two 15000uF 63V, four 1N5822, snubber (R+C), choke common mode 2x2mH 3A/250V & two 0.5 ohms.

Attachments

• WP_20140605_001[1].jpg
    WP_20140605_001[1].jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 397
  • WP_20140605_002[1].jpg
    WP_20140605_002[1].jpg
    410 KB · Views: 382
  • WP_20140605_003[1].jpg
    WP_20140605_003[1].jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 385
Try some 15v transformers. Or some 18v transformers with a choke, or dropper resistor - whatever. This is only a basic power supply which needs to output around 17v. You'll find about a million tutorials on the internet showing you how to construct a power supply. I like to use choke input with a Hammond choke 159ZC - chokes are excellent even for low voltage power supplies. That requires a higher voltage transformer again - it's all in standard power supply theory.

Or if you want to use your existing power supply, use a different operating point on the 26 so the voltage on the cathode is less than 10v. Several ways to do this. The 26 works fine at lower operating points. You can also use a 105v voltage reg like 0C3. You have choices.

Last edited:
Felipe, I am not exactly sure what you mean, but it looks like an unfriendly accusation that I have mislead you.

Yes, the first kits you bought were for normal bias. They are easily configured for filament bias - but, as Andy says, you have to check that you have done the work, and/or ask me. Applying 17V to a regulator configured to accept 8V is never going to end happily.

In fact, the instructions for converting any Regulator to filament bias were sent to you in email of Jan 13, 2013.

Felipe, you ask me an endless number of questions about your preamp, both in posts on the forums, and in over 200 private emails to me. These have taken me a great deal of time and trouble to answer. Many of these were so basic, you should have answered by looking them up yourself. And you now appear to return this courtesy by claiming to have been mislead.

My advice: Find an experienced engineer located near enough to you, that can help you learn some of the basic work, like Ohm's Law, making a rectified dc supply, and how to debug an amplifier. This is very hard to learn properly, without seeing a experienced person at work. If you can't do that, please study the Sticky Thread "Online Learning for Newbies", so that you don't have to ask so many basic queries - which have now completely hijacked this "26 preamp" thread, and turned it into a private debug thread.

(Maybe the Debug questions can be removed and put in a new thread, to keep everyone from being interrupted by posts of no interest to most 26 preamp builders)??

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/38278-line-tube-learning-newbies.html

I can only echo what Rod says.

Filipe - you MUST learn basic electronic theory. This thread is not here to teach you electronics. If you need a PSU that outputs 17v then post on a thread about power supplies. Get a book like Morgan Jones Valve Amplifiers. Follow online tutorials. Buy a book in Spanish about basic theory - there must be loads of them. There's probably loads of Spanish tutorials online.

I think maybe the only way to encourage you to learn basic electronics properly is to not answer your many, many questions. You can't keep emailing Rod - he's a busy technician not a basic electronics tutor. It's just not fair, and one day he will simply not answer your questions.

Get some confidence in your own ability. Learn to answer your own questions. We all went through this ourselves. I am completely self taught. I read Morgan Jones book so often it fell apart. Try and do the same.

Seems fine Felipe.

Connect this power supply to the regulator.
Place the #26.
THEN measure the voltage at the input connector of the regulator.
It must be 17 volts or a little higher.

If you have reached this point you are almost finished.
Now rotate the trimmer so there's 10 volts between filament and ground.

Check back when you have done so and no new questions anymore!

I do agree.....yes.....merlin please tell him straight what you feel as a purchaser of the board.. .....cheers.....

This isn't right at all. Rod is a huge support to the audio community - we all know this. His regs have launched hundreds (probably thousands by now) of DHT builds to levels they could only dream of a few years ago.

As someone who has used a few of his regs I can only say what any other user would - the documentation is extremely detailed, the parts are as good as you can get and the email support is as good as it gets.

I've never seen Rod's work criticised anywhere in the audio community and I can't think of any reason why it ever should be.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well installed new txs Hammond 229D40 20V 2,4A, measurements with all tubes Cunningham globe:

Right channel
B+ 150,7V
Anode 130,7V
OPT current 15mA

Filament gnd 10V
Filament to heater+ 11,6V
Voltage input heater reg 16,3V

Left channel
B+ 150,7V
Anode 131,4V
OPT current 15mA

Filament gnd 10V
Filament to heater+ 11,6V
Voltage input heater reg 16,5V

Are the tubes OK or I have to change to the news ST type bought to Andy?

TIA

Felipe

Last edited: