• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Measuring Tube Gm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks, will check sim when I get back home.

1) yes. Problem is that I have a -90V negative supply and multiturn pot to set bias. Also a multipole switch to measure anode, screen and grid bias. When measure grid, the 1meg (or so) input resistance of panel meter affects the bias point (unless I reduce the grid leak resistor and replace input cap for a bigger one?). What option do you suggest instead?

2) my AC panel meter is 200mV (199.9mV actually), so could replace the 10 ohm for a 100ohm but limit GM read to 20mA/V?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Like this?
I think ccs not too happy with 3V remainder voltage.

Attachments

• Mogliaa 26, gyrator, test 2.jpg
    Mogliaa 26, gyrator, test 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 144
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try 220K grid leak resistor and 1Meg serial resistor from potmeter center point. These with 1Meg panel meter resistance OK about -14V grid voltage (-90V grid supply). Static grid setting point -9V.

Use 1uF shunt cap between pot center point and ground.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Theoretically if you use (circa) 100mA current source (from 90V supply) and 500R potmeter, then moderately (high) voltage divider, 1Meg switching on/off only affect operating point below 1% (0.66).

Attachments

• Mogliaa 26, variable bias, gyrator, test 4.jpg
    Mogliaa 26, variable bias, gyrator, test 4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 168
Theoretically if you use (circa) 100mA current source (from 90V supply) and 500R potmeter, then moderately (high) voltage divider, 1Meg switching on/off only affect operating point below 1% (0.66).

Right, so we are back close to my original gyrator proposal from previous posts. A PMOS gyrator can sustain grid bias point when meter is switched on/off and also will offer high AC impedance, therefore will not load the source and provide good BW with a small Input capacitor, so why not using it?

Thanks for your help, I'm learning a lot with this!
Cheers,
ale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.