• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube SE amplifier with 6P3S (russian tube)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The last variant is without global negative reaction (it seems to sound better .)

Yes, of course, even some parameters will get worse.
A good improvement will be if your output transformer allows ultralinear connection. I tried 6P3S in SE UL and the result was good.
The other improvement is to change 6P3S with 6L6GT. The difference is clearly perceptible.

Yes, of course, even some parameters will get worse.
A good improvement will be if your output transformer allows ultralinear connection. I tried 6P3S in SE UL and the result was good.
The other improvement is to change 6P3S with 6L6GT. The difference is clearly perceptible.

Yes :"The difference is clearly perceptible." and me like most the sound of 6P3S and not the sound of 6L6GT which for me was more harsh !
6P3S are absolute musical for my ears so after testing a lot of tube get back to 6P3S !!!!
But these are only my opinion , as I respect others idea .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is started a thread for smps for tube , so after I was asked about this amps smps here is the link :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149702

Last edited:
The amp look very nice and also professional:). Yes ! Of course 6L6 is always better than 6P3S, but if you did a good schematic for 6P3S and at other side bad schem. for 6L6, what happen! Nobody know. The most important thing is the tubes operate at the good point. I used to build 6P3S before, it was big impression. Trust me, no bad tube, only bad builder:)
Brgs.

The amp look very nice and also professional:). Yes ! Of course 6L6 is always better than 6P3S, but if you did a good schematic for 6P3S and at other side bad schem. for 6L6, what happen! Nobody know. The most important thing is the tubes operate at the good point. I used to build 6P3S before, it was big impression. Trust me, no bad tube, only bad builder:)
Brgs.

Thanks for your thoughts. And agree with you : "no bad tube, only bad builder " !
It is just me and my ears : for me pentode do sound better than triode and do not care what other say . ( Not UL ! just plain pentode ! )
But I do not want to start flame or endless debate about it !
Best regards .

Hi danzup,

Just couple of days ago I breadboarded your amplifier and... The only thing I can say is that it will get it's own box pretty soon, the sound is very promissing. FYI, my version is using classical PS.
Congrats then !
Now ,after many people listen for this amp , all have only good words about`it .
What can I say for others (free citation from Nelson Pass) : you have to build it and listen it !
Word are not enough .
------------------------------------------------------
There are a lot of combination with all Russian tube .
I have tested in the past : 6H1P ,6H2P ,6H3P,6H6P , 6H23P .
Only 6H2P are good for my ears and this specific schematics !
Also over the years I have done SE with the following tube : 6P14P .
Now I have on my working bench SE with 6H13C , GU50 , 6C33C .
years ago I have build 2 amplifier PP with 6P3C and another with 6P14P .

Hi!
For Soviet 6P3C there is the special circuit design recommended by the producer in that old time. This circuit design sounds as remarkably, as the recommended 91 circuit design for 300B.

6H2P not so well combines with 6P3C. Unfortunately.

VU
Thank you very much !
I like the old schematics from RADIO magazines from USSR !
Despite I do not know Russian language, I like a lot looking at my old magazines sometime ..... (like years 1960....1975)
But : for the schematics I posted 6H2P work like magic with 6P3C !

This is one of my SE amplifier , last build .
Inside an Pioneer Amplifier case .
It is made with 6n2P in srpp follow by a 6P3S final class A tube.
It has a smps power source and a control/selection/volume with shunt control by an atmel atmega16 with IR remote control.
Some big pictures with inside:
http://i40.tinypic.com/ohn6gx.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/wrkp4i.jpg
And the schematics are :
amplifier
http://i26.tinypic.com/jp7iwg.jpg
smps power source
http://i29.tinypic.com/mw9zph.jpg

Nice!

What kind of output transformers do you use?

:cool:

Nice!

What kind of output transformers do you use?

:cool:
In house made by a friend of mine .
section : 8 cm sqr
primary nr. turns : 2000 , coper enameled 0.2 mm
secondary nr. turns : 90 , coper enameled 1 mm
air gap :1mm paper sheet
-----------------------------------------
Better transformer
section : 12 cm sqr
primary nr. turns : 2400 coper enameled 0.2 mm in 3 section (aka 3 x 800 turns in series)
secondary nr. turns : 2 x 120 coper enameled 0.6 mm in parallel
air gap : 1mm paper sheet
In this order : PSPSP

another Tube SE amplifier with 6P3S

.with 8FQ7 SRPP-driver

Attachments

• IMG_1153_1.JPG
    IMG_1153_1.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,429
Thanks for the compliment Danzup!

The 6P3S are interchangeable with 6V6, they sound nice too but give lesser power.
I use a 5K transcendar output transformer and a B+ of 315V (measured to ground!)

I like your idea to use a SMPS for tube amplifiers. Do you design switch mode power supplies?

SE- 6P3S years 60s

"There are not better tube than 6P3S and 6N2P for my ears !"
This is very repectable!!!!!

I have this years tubes, my amp is UL whit OPTs JAMES 6112, JAN 5962(6sn7 special) whit EL37, whit 6p3s the soud is beast, I almost do not perceive difference.

rusian tubes, this amps 300/330V, 3K5 to 4k, srpp atached for my ears is better 6sn7 (i no prove noval tubes but 6n1p-eb, 6n6p 60s i preffer in this use) and 6l6 family is little better "r-807" than 6P3S

Tetrode, UL, Triode configurations, in my opinion
it depends more on external factors and quality of used components

They enjoy " DIY" and its equipment
All the best
Fernan

hi,
I like this amp. I was thinking of building a 6v6 se. I also wanted to use russian tubes, so this looks like a good match.

what is the current draw of the amp? - I will need to design a PS using powersupply designer from ducan amps. I have 5k ot and a 250-0-250 150ma power transformer and 15h choke ( from diy 6em7 amp).

My amp now is JE labs simple 2a3, which I love. I hope this amp sounds different, but also good.

thanks for any info,
Jeff

Hi Jeff

OPTs and power trafo is correct,
for 250VDC in SET, the power is minus than you 2A3

I think that 315V , are excessive, although case of Russian tubes, I am not surprised ..... (more whit 6P14P-EB at 400/430V plate, 400V g2 into PP UL "7189-A")

If I am not mistaken, they are aprox 36mA and 10 more in tetrode or UL,
Supposedly a warm sound T/UL... compared to SET 2A3, is supposed to play in a higher
league the 2A3.

On the other hand, I have brought many surprises, especially with EL34s, 6L6 according to the harvest....

Leaving aside the comparison, if you can expect a warm sound with 6P6C (Russian 6V6).

The ripple from the PSU, with the 6V6 power that is inaudible easily, depending also the sensitivity of their speakers.

Escuses by my inglish

All the best
Fernan

Last edited:
hi,
I like this amp. I was thinking of building a 6v6 se. I also wanted to use russian tubes, so this looks like a good match.

what is the current draw of the amp? - I will need to design a PS using powersupply designer from ducan amps. I have 5k ot and a 250-0-250 150ma power transformer and 15h choke ( from diy 6em7 amp).

My amp now is JE labs simple 2a3, which I love. I hope this amp sounds different, but also good.

thanks for any info,
Jeff

For 6V6 is enough 150 mA
but for 6p3S 200 mA is a minimum for amplifier to work ok .
Me : I draw 80mA per 6P3S tube wich is 160mA for final tubes and another 10...20mA for SRPP tubes module.

Both for 6V6and 6P3S the 5K opt impedance is super OK !
For me there are big difference between 6P3S and 6V6 which is 6P6S Russian tube .
After a lot of experiments and listening i will stick with 6P3S , trust me on that ....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100000180288022&aid=32881

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.