• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Silvertone Multiplex Stereo Model No. 4092 Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm new here and a total noob, sorry if I don't know all of the technical jargon. :(
I have a Sears Roebuck Silvertone Multiplex Stereo Model No. 4092, seen here. I have several questions....and was hoping somebody could help. Thanks so much for your time!

1. How much is this thing worth? I got it from my neighbor for free when she moved into an assisted living facility, this thing is pretty much cherry (some wear on the wood but that is it). I'm sure my neighbor was the original owner and from what I can tell its never been opened up. I ask cause my husband wants me to sell it since we don't have the room for it. But I love it and want to keep it. Which leads to question 2.

2. Its not working quite right, (and if I could get it working, I would have a better case with dh) I'll break the problems out for reading ease...
2a. It seems the arm isn't working quite right, I'll put it on the 33 setting, and when it the arm moves onto the record it goes to the middle of the record (like its going to the beginning of a 45). And usually once this happens the arm it gets unhappy and returns to its off position. Is this something I could fix?
2b. I'm also having to spin the turntable by hand to get it going. Once its going, the speed seems okay. But I'm pretty sure this thing is suppose to spin up on its own.
2c. A while ago something like stryofoam? I'm really not sure fell out of the needle cartridge? and all of the sudden the sound went almost mute. The piece that fell out was broken and wouldn't stay back inside, so my husband cut out a piece of soft foam and placed it inside which helped amplify the sound, but not quite the same as the original, I really have no idea what this was or if this was the correct way to fix it? I've replaced the old needle with new ones, but does the entire cartridge the needle sets in need to be replaced?

3. Is this unit run using tubes—reading about other Silvertone console units it seems it probably is? Do I need to fiddle with them to fix it?

I really would love to keep it, so any help is truly appreciated!

Kathryn

3. Is this unit run using tubes—reading about other Silvertone console units it seems it probably is? Do I need to fiddle with them to fix it?

On one of the pictures the word 'transistorized' appears... this means your model is of a later date than the Silvertone tube units you read about and uses transistors (no tubes!).

For your questions regarding the turntable you'll more likely get answers in the analogue section; maybe the admins will move your post...

Good luck,

Simon

Kilmon thanks so much for your reply.

All of this has made me fairly curious, so I grabbed a flashlight, and peered inside through the holes in the backing board. I can definitely see glass tubes, here's a photo. I've also been able to scope out a "Tube Layout - Chassis View 88-5248-1" diagram. There is a total of 6 tubes from my limited perspective, 5 you can see in the photo, and one that from the diagram says its the "Tuning Eye." So are these a different types of tubes from the earlier models? Or is the "Transitorized" just a marketing ploy? Once again thanks so much for your time!

I found the Silvertone 4092 in the Sams index - it's covered in folder 738-8, 1965. This would be about the time the first transistor amplifiers appeared - but a bit early early for a transistorized tuner. So it's a "hybrid" - some of each. My Sams collection doesn't go much past 1960, so I can't help there - and anyway, it won't cover the turntable, though it MIGHT give you another folder number for that... it might be worth a trip to your local library to see if they can get copies - many can.

Tom, thanks so much for responding. As mentioned earlier I'm a total noob, what information will the Sams folder provide me? I have the original owners manual, and technical manual—which has explosion diagrams of the console and turntable; and schematics of amplifier chassis, tube layout, and circuit board, along with instructions for alignment of AM and FM channels. Once again thanks so much for your time! :)

Kathryn

The Sams folder probably isn't as detailed as the factory manual.

Fixing the turntable mainly involves cleaning out the old hardened grease and applying new. And replacing hardened rubber parts - like the idler wheel that drives the turntable. Your best be may be to ask at the forum at antiqueradios.com - give your location too - there may be someone near you who could help repair it.

Tech Manual

Hi Kathryn,
Anyway I could get a copy of the Tech Manual from you? I have one of the consoles and I would like to give it a "tune up". i have it working but I have a problem with the multiplex circuit. Even though it is a hybrid and not worth a whole bunch it sounds pretty darn good..The early transistor output sections have a boomy 6V6 sound...kinda nice,,,
Thanks!
Mike

YarnTheory,

Unfortunately, the turntable/cartridge combo found in those sorts of consoles tends to be a record destroyer. :( They usually employ high tracking force piezoelectric carts. that can literally scrub the high frequency info. out of the grooves.

If you scan and upload the schematic diagram(s) in the owner's manual, more accurate comments will be forthcoming.

Eli,
The turntable on this console uses a ceramic cartridge. About 4g tracking force at most. With a new stylus it will not destroy records, although I would not put my perfect condition 64 Beatles LP on it lol...
It also has what was marketed as a "floating" cartridge. It has a center pivot on the cartridge mount that will compensate for a warped record. So its kind of nice for playing \ old warped LP's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.