• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dedicated 6.3v filament transformer 240v primary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, I have a project up where my B+ is all sorted but I'm chasing a dedicated 6.3v supply for a quartet of 6cg7's (9 pin equiv of 6sn7) and a quartet of el84's.

At around 800mA a piece I make that all up that's about 6 and a half amps of 6.3v.

I'm in Australia where supply is 240v

Anyone know of a dedicated filament tranny?

Hi Drew,

I would have a look at Edcor. If they don't have one already designed (check their database) they will make to your specs with a USD20 design fee. Even with the exchange rate, their transformers are very wel priced. Factoring in postage, a custom Edcor will cost around the same as a Hammond purchased locally - probably a bit cheaper. The product is good and they are easy to deal with but a bit slow answering emails.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi again Drew,

Just had a look at the Edcor site. No filament tranformer that I could see, so if you were going to use them you would have to go with the custom design. The one off design fee is listed as $40, not $20 as I indicated in my post above.

Cheers,

Rob

DrewP said:
Yes, looks like a 50 watt filament tranny from Hammond supplied by the aust distributors will be in the ballpark of $220 ($170 US).

Looking at Edcors current price list, I would imagine that the transformer would be around USD 70, add the design fee and you are looking at $110. Can't remember exactly how much it costs to post one transformer but I am thinking about $40. All up maybe $150. Still cheaper than the Hammond but not by a lot.

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.