• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What the heck does a getter do ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This ? has no bearing on anything...just my pointy head being over-active right now. I understand the fundamentals of how vacuum tubes work..all components except for the getter. Exactly what is it's function...and the "flashing" for that matter. I have heard a few different...and somewhat conflicting I might add...explainations. Can someone clarify this for me ? Thanks in advance..

Update on my first build coming soon. I am abandoning the cascaded preamp volumes in favor of a master volume. I am also adding switchable rectifier settings...ss/tube. Film at 11:00 ...:confused:

Ok...so what I had heard is correct in the sense that the getter removes impurities within the vacuum. So the chrome-like coating on the inside of the tube...is that the result of the getter reacting with the impurity or is that a component of the getter itself. What I mean is this : does the presence of the chrome-like coating indicate a tube with little use or does it show that impurities were removed from the vacuum. Tubes with a lot of hours seem to have less chrome inside...I have heard this referred to as "getter loss" ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.