• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single ended amp, EL34, KT88 ideas??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok...the next project I'm mulling in my pointy head is an SE amp using EL34 or KT88 outputs and a very simple circut. Anyone have any ideas and/or schematics/plans ? Since my area of interest is mainly musical instrument amplifiers, it would ideally be something designed for or easily adapted for that purpose. I am relative novice-level having rebuilt/overhauled a couple dozen amps and scratch built...with a lot of help from this forum..one screamin' banshee of a mutant Fender circut. I like cathode bias amps for their touch sensitivity...also I would like to easily swap tubes with other compatable types...i.e. KT90, KT100...I appreciate all your suggestions...I have a file full of those so far. :eguitar:

Re: Russ..re Simple SE

bereanbill said:
That's a PCB amp ? I'd prefer PP ...can I get a schematic and build it from scratch ? Would that be easily adapted to instrument amplifier...i.e. 1 meg input?:confused:

Yes, it's a PCB amp. You could build one PtP, of course. The schematic and everything is there, but you said simple, so...

Alex's KT88 SE amp on diyaudioproject.com is the one I was planning to build before coming across the SSE. It's a bit simpler than the SSE to boot.

G

Joined 2002
It sounds like you are looking for a high powered Fender Princeton clone. Try this schematic and instead of the 6V6 use a EL34. Allen Amplifiers has transformer (TO11C) that is perfect for a SE EL34 output. You can find it here:

http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers

If you want more gain then I would use a additional 6SL7 gain stage and wire it up as a pre and post gain. That will give you all the "crunch" that you want. I had a schematic drawn up for such a beast but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking though. You will need to boost the voltage for the output stage also.

Attachments

• fender 5f2 v2.jpg
    fender 5f2 v2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,539
Re: Re: Russ..re Simple SE

rknize said:

Yes, it's a PCB amp. You could build one PtP, of course. The schematic and everything is there, but you said simple, so...

Alex's KT88 SE amp on diyaudioproject.com is the one I was planning to build before coming across the SSE. It's a bit simpler than the SSE to boot.

The circuit that I use to build my KT88 SE is that of Mikael Abdellah of this forum.

Some members have build it and they had excellent results.

My SE KT88 is still one of my favorites, along with my RH84, my 12av5 SE amp and a 2a3 parafeed. :D

- AlexG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.