• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mysterious OPT winding tap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just dismantled a Grundig Mandello console from the late sixties with ELL80 SE power stage. The opts are very small and have a winding tap I can't identify: I'm measuring 700ohms DCR on the primary winding which has another tap (on the same winding) that adds about 10 ohms DCR. Any ideas what this could be? A special kind of feedback winding???

Thanks! Simon

This is probably a hum balancing tap. The HT+ voltage in these radios has a lot of hum due to a singel capacitor power supply. HT+ is connected to the tap of the OPT and a ellyt-capacitor at the end of the winding is connected to ground. This balance the hum in the transformer like in a push-pull output stage. Saved a few bucks in components for the manufacturer.
This trick was done in most european singelended radios, TV's and small amps in the 50's & 60's

JohanB:cool:

This is probably a hum balancing tap

Never heard of it; cost-cutting is the name of the game when you look at the innards so this would make sense

What is pin9 (screen grid) connected to? Could it be an Ultralinear tap?

I broke the circuits boards to remove the opts so it's too late to check. Also thought of UL but wouldn't 700 / 10 ohms seem like a strange proportion?

Cheers,

Simon

There is also a power-resistor in series with the short end before the capacitor is connected. The value is usally around 2 KOhms. B+ to the rest of the circuitry is taken from that capacitor. This gives a hum current in the opt to cancel the hum in the speaker.
Maybe also lower hum to the other stages. Someone can make a simulation of this?
Here is a typical schematic diagram of a cheap 50's radio.

I don't know if the resolution is enough, otherwise copy this link.

http://medlem.spray.se/nostalgiteknik/5020s.jpg
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:) JohanB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.