• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dampen transformer endbells?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It sounds as if my transformer buzz (mechanical) may not be DC on the line. As I mentioned in the other post, most transformers make a bit of noise for me. The quietest one is an old Sherwood. I pulled the endbells off it once, and they were filled with some sort of white compound. (It was a pain to put the broken pieces back in!) In contrast, the transformer that is now giving me problems has thin endbells that actually ring like bells!

I've seen several posts about potting transformers, but wouldn't filling the endbells with something be a more gentle approach? It would inhibit cooling, but surely not to the extent that potting a transformer would, as the edges of the lams could still breath. So, what if one jammed the endbells full of something like duct seal? It is non-conductive and pretty tolerant of heat, right? If the transformer ran too hot, it would also be easy to remove.

thoughts?

pj

my thoughts are

you are trying to compensate for a fault in the transformer. My background is in automotive electrical engineering. Buzzing inductors typically had a short in a winding. I'd be thoroughly testing the transformers electrical performance before I stuffed it full of anything.

I had a Hammond power transformer with a buzzing end bell. It was really annoying. If I touched the end bell the buzzing went away. In the end, I remover the end bell, poured some 2 part epoxy into the end bell and when the epoxy had set up I reassembled the transformer. No more buzzing.

Every tube amp transformer that has been in this house has buzzed, except for one. And it was potted. Hopefully they weren't all faulty! This one just buzzes a bit louder than others. I don't know that I can "thoroughly test" it's electrical performance. It seems to behave fine. The longest I let it run under load was half an hour or so, and it didn't get very warm. I figure if it were saturating or had real troubles, it'd run hot, right?

I'll play with it some more today. I won't make any drastic moves. Epoxy putty also comes to mind.

pj

It's probably only a good idea too fill the endbells if you can use the same type of compound they use to pot transformers.

The material should have a high dielectric strength and be a good thermal conductor. Maybe if your transformer runs cool, you can get away with using something else. Unfortunately, a buzzing transformer is usually a hot transformer.

Lining the endbells probably wouldn't be a problem, but may not help that much.

Do you have some silmilar problem with other trafos connected to the same mains?
If your mains has some DC component it might be saturating the core and make the trafo ring.
Or you might be using a 220V trafo with 240V
Or you might just have some nasty harmonics on the mais.
Or finaly you might just have a badly designed or built transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.