Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Dynaco Mark III
Dynaco Mark III
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2008, 12:44 PM   #11
kstagger is offline kstagger  United States
diyAudio Member

funny - I gave up my Dynaco ST70 for a pair of Mark IIIs. The '70 (even with upgraded input and power supply board) sounded sloppy and compressed.

Update the Dynaco Mark IIIs with a new power supply and input boards (I used the tubezone version of the Poseidon board) and they are fine amplifiers.
Old 29th July 2008, 02:37 AM   #12
Ty_Bower is offline Ty_Bower  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the Poseidon boards look pretty sharp, too.

Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, if you like the Poseidon, Shannon also makes a board for the Stereo 70 with essentially the same topology. It's just two Poseidons stuck together in the middle (or is the Poseidon one of his ST70 boards cut in half?).
Old 29th January 2013, 05:20 AM   #13
AmCan is offline AmCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
I think the Poseidon boards look pretty sharp, too.

Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, if you like the Poseidon, Shannon also makes a board for the Stereo 70 with essentially the same topology. It's just two Poseidons stuck together in the middle (or is the Poseidon one of his ST70 boards cut in half?).
Can someone explain to me the advantage or difference of the Poseidon Board over the stock driver board? There is so much information its hard to find the relevant information. I am looking at building the MK3 and my main concern at this point is that my speakers have a frequency range of 20Hz to 25KHz and I don't want the highs to sound rolled off. Which of the mod driver boards would best suit my needs? What about the Bob Latino Board?
Old 29th January 2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Dynaco Mark III Dynaco Mark III
In short; the Poseidon boards (& PSU-upgrade) made me believe that tube-amps really CAN be used with a modern speaker...

Arne K
Old 29th January 2013, 01:16 PM   #15
TubeMack is offline TubeMack  United States
diyAudio Member

It's basically an updated Eico 87 /89 circuit, IE the classic well loved modified Mullard circuit! Lots of info on those models
Old 29th January 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
AmCan is offline AmCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeMack View Post
It's basically an updated Eico 87 /89 circuit, IE the classic well loved modified Mullard circuit! Lots of info on those models
Thanks. This is the info I was looking to find. Does anybody have a link to where Shannon Parks first released his circuit design on DIYTube?
Old 29th January 2013, 05:39 PM   #17
TubeMack is offline TubeMack  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmCan View Post
Thanks. This is the info I was looking to find. Does anybody have a link to where Shannon Parks first released his circuit design on DIYTube?
Hard to say. I've searched, and these Eico based circuits seem to just appear having already been thought out. I really couldn't find the "genesis" I was looking for.
Old 1st February 2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Ty_Bower is offline Ty_Bower  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmCan View Post
Does anybody have a link to where Shannon Parks first released his circuit design on DIYTube?
The Stereo 70 driver board seems to have been announced first, roughly around the beginning of 2005. The post is here:

diytube.com • View topic - diytube st70 driver board

Curiously, even though his post states the prototype circuit was first tested as a "1/2 unit" running in a Mark III, the Poseidon boards weren't announced until a little over a year later.

If you really want to dig into the history of the Parks projects, I believe the DIY Stereo 35 came first. After that, the Eiclone was conceived (mid 2003). I would imagine the Poseidon circuit and ST70 drivers were simply a natural evolution of the Eiclone design (sans power supply and finals). Have a read through the oldest of the posts in the Eiclone forum for more details.

Last edited by Ty_Bower; 1st February 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Dynaco Mark IIIHide this!Advertise here!