• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Push-Pull 6CL5's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gah! No plate curves for those anywhere, eh? :eek:

What I do in a situation like that is run them to *just* visible distortion on the scope and make a note on the power output.

By adjusting the load resistance, make notes for 2K to 8K in 500 ohm increments (a good OPT is needed for this with lots of primary inductance.... I use a Pioneer OPT that's 8K:8R for tests).

There will be an impedance that gives maximum output.

If you want to get picky, you can repeat the steps only at 1 watt instead of maximum out and make a note of the Z that gives lowest THD and place the operating impedance in between the two :)

I'm lazy, so I do step 1 for max output and just add 20% and call it a day :D

Cheers!

Geek said:
Gah! No plate curves for those anywhere, eh? :eek:

What I do in a situation like that is run them to *just* visible distortion on the scope and make a note on the power output.

By adjusting the load resistance, make notes for 2K to 8K in 500 ohm increments (a good OPT is needed for this with lots of primary inductance.... I use a Pioneer OPT that's 8K:8R for tests).

There will be an impedance that gives maximum output.

If you want to get picky, you can repeat the steps only at 1 watt instead of maximum out and make a note of the Z that gives lowest THD and place the operating impedance in between the two :)

I'm lazy, so I do step 1 for max output and just add 20% and call it a day :D

Cheers!

hey Geek,
Your last step, adding 20% to the load with pentodes is perhaps going the wrong direction. I'd go to max power and subtract 20%( numerically) to make the load line steeper. For Triodes, you've got a reasonable method...
cheers,
Douglas

Hi,

Bandersnatch said:

hey Geek,
Your last step, adding 20% to the load with pentodes is perhaps going the wrong direction. I'd go to max power and subtract 20%( numerically) to make the load line steeper. For Triodes, you've got a reasonable method...
cheers,
Douglas

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I was dealing with trioded pentodes when I developed that actually :)

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.