• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audioromy FU13 (813) diagram and mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is actually the only documentation that followed the amp!

I bought Audioromy's FU-13 SET one year ago. It may be an old version. The tubes are shown in the attached photo by American tube names. 6DJ8 is for input voltage amplifier to accept low level input signal and can be skipped by a switch located on the front panel.

I modified it to reduce global NFB. I changed the value of NFB resistor from 22K to 56K. I like the sonic of low NFB.

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,012
I replaced the faulty cap for 47uF/160V/105C. Now FU13 works as usual. I believe, that the original cap was from faulty batch. I run the unit more than 3 hours and it was really hot, specially inside. It is american product. Now I will work over the bias to reduce it to ca 65 mA. Then I will try to reduce NFB and see impact on the sound.

Savim

Bias can be adjusted between 50 and 80mA. The producer advise is 70mA. But here in the Netherlands and Germany a lot of user set the bias to 55mA. We have then lees distortion at high volumes and less heat from the transformers. Sound stays the same.

Savim, good so.

Ronny

Last edited:
I tried them in place of the 82's and they did not work.Then swapped for the 88's and the amp works fine?? :confused:

That's 6n6p that I tried.The 82's are the front outside valves yes? Tried them here and no sound from amp-filaments not lighting either.Swapped them to the the two front centre valves-ecc88,and filaments light and amp works.

Last edited:
The ECC82s (12au7) are on the outside, yes. Although I do not own that version.
You should be able to read the type on the tubes. Take a look at page 4 where there are presentations of the new version and make sure you dont have one of those.
Also check with another tube, just to make sure you did´nt insert a dead one.

But its best to hope that Koifarm or other experienced user of the old version chime in here.

The ecc99 and 6n6p are almost compatible, just the filament supply is different.

For the audioromy the mod is simple. Original pin 4 and 5 are joint together and the filament supply( 6,3V) is connected to pin 9 and pin 4/5.

To use a 6n6p tube as driver you have to disconect the joint between pin 4 and 5. Connect the cable from pin 9 to the pin of 4 or 5 witch have no cable connected. Now there is filament supply( 6,3V) on pin 4 and 5. Leave pin 9 disconnected.

Ronny

Bias Adjustment
As some of you, I had problem with reducing bias below 72mA. The easiest way to solve it is to sqeeze more negative voltage, which polarise the first grid of FU 13 valve. To accomplish it, one should increase resistor 56k connected in series with the regulating potentiometer. The lazy way to do it is to cut one end of this resistor and solder to cutted small pieces of copper another resistor ca 200k ( I had 180k ). It should be done for both channels. This operation allow me to reduce bias down to 60 mA. Mentioned resistors-the small ones, can be found between pot and 100uF cap at the left corner of printed board.

After that, I measured output voltage and power at 9,4 ohm load. Max non distorted voltage was ca 20V max, which gives ca 21W RMS output. Such values was observed at oscilloscope for both 72 mA and 60 mA bias.

I also measured DC and signal voltage across the signal path. It seems, that working points was designed properly. With max non distorted,output power, the signal voltage at the first grig of FU 13 was ca 100V max, which fine corresponds with ca -90 DC - negative polarisation of this grid. So only limitation of non distorted output power is the last stage of amplification i.e. FU 13 with trafo and power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.