• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anode chokes DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your looking at a substantial task to wind an anode choke, As for you question about core gap and winding you need to know what type of core material it is and the inductance per 1000 turns, this is a common rating on cores. As for the gap it's all math dealing with the max flux density.

As for the wire size you spec it to your current and the size of the window. To save your high frequency response yes you will need some funky voodoo winding magic to cut down the capacitance.

I think the you find the max flux density the core can take then compare it to the field being set up by the coil and increase the gap tell they don't equal each other of the at least the field setup by the coil doesn't equal the saturation of the core.

But I could be wrong, there are other guru's way smarter then me that could probably give you a less confusing answer.

Nick

It takes 1000s of turns typically for tube type impedances. And the cost of the tiny copper wire is by far the major factor these days. I suspect the cores are rather overpriced too since they are making a big deal about "audio". Many lamination manufacturers will send you a core sample or two for free for prototyping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.