• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dirty Cheap Vintage Pot Fix - Your Opinion Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I have a problem with Noble vintage pots in tube amp - they went from 500K to 800K - 1M (ALL of them). Cleaning will not help - resistance increased due to aging of carbon film, not usage or dirty contacts. They are quite unusual - 6mm split long shaft + threading = 30 mm, and so far I found no replacement!

1) For 2-gang 500K linear balance pot (had to be replaced because one gang become broken) - I found a way to build "new" from skeleton of old one and new 2-gang guitar pot.

2) For bass/treble controls I think to use dirty cheap trick - 2 shunt 680K resistors as shown on the schematic. R=(R1*R2)/(R1+R2), resulting approx 500K. However, this pot will not be linear anymore, but rather something really odd. (Trick #1 will not work, no physical space available inside amplifier).

3) I found 250K dual-gang log pot from Marantz vintage amp with tap from the middle for loudness control (its shaft is 5mm shorter then required but I can work around it). Since the resistance decreased twice, capacitance of C13/C14 must be increased by a factor of two. The question is - can be 250K too low for output impedance of V3a?

Everyone is welcome to share his/her opinion

PS. If someone has such pots, please drop a message

Attachments

• pioneer sm83-1 controls.jpg
    pioneer sm83-1 controls.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 179
Unfortunately, I have overlooked one simple thing with shunting 800K pot with 2 resistors. Its a 2 (not 1) group of parallel-connected resistors. And the resistance between points a and b WILL CHANGE :thumbsdn: when pot is rotating. With 2 x 680K shunting resistors resistance between points a and b will change in range of 503.70K (middle pot position) to 367.57K (left or right pot position). With ordinary pot resistance between points a and b is constant.

Attachments

• sm-83 shunt.jpg
    sm-83 shunt.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.