• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Small pentodes push pull tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum though not new to DIY audio stuff, I have been building audio stuff for the last 25 years (mostly ss for the first 15 years and mostly tube stuff in the last 10).

I was very pleased to find this forum and seen some very interesting info. here.

Now to the point, I was playing around with some small power pentodes like 12eh5, 6an5, 50c5 etc. they can be found for next to nothing, run on relativly low voltage and when coupled to a good iron in PP configuration give fantastic sound both for headphone listening and close range listening.

However, In all my surches on the web I came across very few designes with these families of tubes (Steve bentch, Adam Von, and some jepanies designes).

Does anybody have any access to more designes with these tubes? I will post my schematics here shortly.

Thank you very much.

Glass_painter.

A guitar amp using 35C5s can be found at:

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/dv8howit.htm

It could be easily adapted for 50C5s or any other type of small output pentode.

I think that since the types of tubes you mention were really designed for AC/DC operation, now that many countries have electrical safety regulations which forbid using AC/DC technique in commercial equipment, there has not been any interest in producing new designs with these tubes.

One option would be to use the schematics of old tube sets with decent audio stages using these tubes, and update them using modern components.

Hi,

First , thanks for the link. I think that one of these days I will build an amp of this kind.

You are right about AC\DC operation and safety regulations but the same tubes can be used for building safer topologies with isolation transformers and still be utiliesed for building good sounding amps.

Try building one I think you will love it.

I will appriciate any more info.

Thanks.

Glass_painter

I occasionally repair old tube radios, and have come across many AC/DC types, so I am aware of the capability of these tubes when used properly in decent audio stages, although often the stages are far from decent!

I once did make an AC/DC amp using 6Q7s in driver and phase splitter stages and PL38s in the output, with an enormous dropper resistor for the heater chain! No idea of the output, but it was loud! - mind you, that was about 25 years ago and I would not now use the AC/DC approach without an isolating transformer.

There are other circuits on the dogstar site, for example:

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/4x4intro.htm

Good luck with your amp

Hello all and thanks for the good info.

Most of the sites I am bumping into on the net are in US, western Europe and very few in Japan. does anyone know how can I get info. from east Europe and\or the far east? they have many designs (Russian radios Japanies radios etc.) that I am sure will be very interesting to look at.

Thanks again.

Glass_painter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.