• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best plate voltage for 6dj8 at +-6ma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Before somebody else jumps in and tells you exactly where you should run your tube I'd like to encourage you to experiment a bit. It's easy to try different operating points and ultimately, it's the only way to know for sure - and especially simple if you already know the current you want to run.
Put a constant current source on the plate of the tube set for your desired 6mA. Then, just by changing the cathode resistor so that IR=Vbias wherever you want to check out on the plate curve chart at 6mA you can get different corresponding plate voltages. It frees you up from depending on people's advice that may not actually work as well for your application as it did for theirs.
It's also a good part of the fun.:smash:

To operate 100v\6ma, in the cathode I have 270r. In parallel with a capacitor of 1,5uf, to improve the medium frequencies significantly. The tube that I have (Tronal), has excellent basses, and high, but it asks for a little in the medium, from there the reason of the capacitor.

Thanks,
npr

Hi Sy. Yes. In the calculations that I made I got 2500hz (I can be wrong).
Of the few tubes (preamp) that until today I tested, 6dj8 is distinguished for the basses, but it loses a little in the remaining frequencies (my opinion).
I like to place the control of volume between the 1 and the 2 stage, with 10k or 4k7 pot, and for this requirement of current I think that 6dj8 is a good candidate.

Well, maybe I'm not correct. If you're following the CCS'd 6DJ8 with a 4k7 pot, that pot is effectively the plate load. This means that the tube's impedance shunts the 270R with 4k7/33 = 142R. So the effective resistance is 142R in parallel with 270R = 93R. That puts the turnover at 1140Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.