• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke load frequency response and distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Just thought I would share my experiences on this topic.

Originally posted by Circlotron
A ccs with a choke in series might be fun to try.

I have done this in a series of experiments I did when first playing with designing my own CCS's. I had my line stage setup with 2 different CCS's per channel. There was a switching setup that allowed selecting either CCS and whether or not a choke was after the CCS.

The CCS's were my first design and the C4S. The choke was a Magnaquest 100Hy EXO-01 (stolen from my 30,30,31 parafeed amp).

The outcome of this test goes like this...
With the C4S the choke improved things a little. Took away a small amount of grainyness and smoothed out the sound. With the pentode CCS the choke slightly hindered things. Caused slight bluring in the low level details.

Original quote by Dave Slagle
anybody have any thought on various current sources in series?
active-active
active-passive (i consider a choke a passive current source)
passive-passive

You should be able to run a choke in series with a CCS without problems. The only thing you can't do is run 2 active CCS's in series.

Gary

<a href="http://home.pacifier.com/~gpimm/">Gary P's DIY page</a>

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CHOKES.

Hi,

There was a switching setup that allowed selecting either CCS and whether or not a choke was after the CCS.

OK, but I'd thought the choke would be most benificial- if at all- ahead of the CCS, not after it.

OTOH...one may just as well leave the choke out altogether.

I'm just curious if any of you have tried this setup?

Cheers,;)

This test was to compare the sound of CCS's with the sound of chokes.

A further detail I forgot to add. There was a cap to ground between the choke and CCS's. Idea here was to mostly remove the CCS from the signal path when the choke was in circuit. It could have been done with just the choke but that would have required a second power supply for the choke, otherwise the plate voltage would be completly different when the choke was selected.

Adding the choke in series with the CCS's had no effect on the plate voltage

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.