• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hey fdegrove, OTL monoblock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
OTL MONOBLOCK.

Hi,

First of all here's a link to the diagrams of the amps that were built for a friend of mine:

Bruce Rozenblit.

What we did is double the amount of tubes in the output stage and wired the the driver (1/2 6SN7) in // to drive that amount of tubes more easily.

The powerxformers were made to order, were overrated by about 30% and had an electrostatic shield between primary and secondaries.

We didn't use the self in the HT supply either for it was too hard to get, I didn't feel it would compromise the design since this supply is regulated anyway.

Also we changed the caps in the 110V supply to 2 x 4700uF/200V.
If you decide to build as is you wouldn't need that stiff a supply and you can use the diagram as is.

The original article in GA contained a list with all the components needed but you can easily make your own.

I always liked the sound of the GE 6080s so that was what we used instead of the 6AS7Gs.
The Svetlana 6AS7Gs have a good rep but I never tried those and the NOS 6080s are probably cheaper to get, just make sure you use the same brand throughout and try to get them in a reasonable match.
Remember these were regulator tubes so tolerance wasn't a great priority on the manufacturing list.

I also used AC for the powertubes, no hum whatsoever and it's cheaper, all you need is a dedicated 6.3 VAC winding of sufficient current rating.
Up to you to decide, I don't have a preference either way.

If you can find a copy of the original article than that would be of help.
Unfortunately I don't have it here.

Happy building,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.