• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube collection Database.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube collection Database.

After buying the same tube a couple of times for the same project I decided to put all my tubes in a searchable database that I could access from anywhere I have internet access on a computer or phone. I tried out a couple of open source database systems but they were either too complex or could not be ported to tubes easy enough.

After some experimentation and a lot of installing and such, I settled on opendb. It was designed for the trading and borrowing out of CD’s, movies and books. It is written in php and uses mysql as the back end. I currently have written the attribute types and .sql files for Tubes and Tube Sockets. I plan on writing them for capacitors and a few semi conductors as well. Once it’s set up the interface is easy but I would like it simple as possible and contain the most useful information. I have a test database set up to get input on as I want to make all the changes before putting my own collection in. Once everything is in it’s much more difficult to make changes to the structure.

If anyone would like to give me input on the structure you can have a look at:

www.shaneaune.com/testdb/

Click on “List All Items” to get everything. The pictures may be very slow coming up as I have this running on a Cobalt Raq3 that I got for 14$ off eBay.

I have attached two pictures of the screens for entering in tubes and tube sockets.

Any input would be appreciated on what information should be entered initially when the tubes/sockets go into the database or the structure there after. If anyone is interested in contributing to the project I can PM them a user/admin login.

I am more then willing to share my .sql files with anyone who wants to get this set up themselves.

Attachments

• screen1-800.jpg
    screen1-800.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 214
Hello,

Most of the tubes on the test site I just grabbed off ebay as examples but I do own the 5842's. I just got them the other day for my Tubelab SE board. I have never seen them either. Looking at them, my wild guess is that they were made by Amprex. The only reason I say this is the top of the tube has 4 ridges going towards the center like most of the Amprex tubes I have. I have not had a chance to hear them yet as I am still collecting parts for the project. They both have 135 etched in large letters vertically on the tube.

The Tubcad software is nice but it lacks the web access that wanted. Now that I have the database and input portion done its quick to enter tubes and keep track of them.

The website does run deathly slow as its running on a raq3 300mhz K6 with 128MB ram. I just have it on there so if I made a mistake I could just reinstall the whole thing OS and all if necessary. I can move it to a real server when I am finished making major changes to it.

Pyre said:
The Tubcad software is nice but it lacks the web access that wanted. Now that I have the database and input portion done its quick to enter tubes and keep track of them.

I see, I thought it was a public computer and it was always going to be that slow. It is a lot of work, but if it's done, then that's pretty cool.

The TCJ stuff uses a dBASE-3 file format, so if one has a database engine that can connect to that you could rig up a system that used it as the backend so you could have web and desktop access. Also a lot of work, though I once wrote a python socket server to use Access as a db server as the company I was working for refused to switch away from Access, so it is possible, though messy. I finally got them to use a real db so that project was abandoned a while ago.

Pyre said:
The website does run deathly slow as its running on a raq3 300mhz K6 with 128MB ram.

I am a big fan of such things. My web server runs (FreeBSD) on a Packard Bell Pentium 133 with 32MB or RAM and the original HDD. I did have to add a network card. I have a computer waiting in the wings to replace it one of these days, but I enjoy the novelty.

Pyre said:
Just found this picture and the tubes I have look to be the exact same construction with gold pins and all.

Interesting. The Raytheons and Western Electrics both have seamless glass on top.

dsavitsk said:

I am a big fan of such things. My web server runs (FreeBSD) on a Packard Bell Pentium 133 with 32MB or RAM and the original HDD. I did have to add a network card. I have a computer waiting in the wings to replace it one of these days, but I enjoy the novelty.

Ahhh, hardware my other weakness. Well hardware, records, coins, stamps, tubes the list goes on. I am surprised that I don't have to eat cat food on a regular basis.

I have been meaning to try out FreeBSD for a while. I have a buddy that swears by it. I run mostly fedora based as I have gotten used to it. The raq3 runs RackStar OS which is based on Fedora 4. For such a tiny server it runs surprisingly well. I ran an older version of opendb and it ran a lot faster as it rendered the thumbnails using a utility you ran as admin and put them in a folder. The new version renders and caches them which does not seem to be as effective on a slow server. If I get some time this weekend I will move the site and database to my 8 xeon cpu compaq beast or my HP LH6000r.

Picture of Ed my server rack. You can see the little Raq3 squished in the middle.

rack001.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.