• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thousandshirts said:
One fellow I know of was interested in trying some of these New Sensor "Genalex Reissue KT-77" tubes. He did a bit of research (this in the past two weeks), and reported back:

So I'll save my money for now until I start hearing some good reports. You could substantiate the above claim I guess by calling Tube Depot yourself, or some other mass quantity tube movers, and see what the story is.

New Sensor does respond to email, and you could give them a try. Whether they'll be openly honest about massive failures in this, their first run of these particular KT-77s, I can not possibly say.

I've sold about 100 - with ZERO failures. ZERO. The odds of that happening if the info Tube Depot has is correct are very long indeed...

A Google search of the web, newsgroups and blogs turned up nothing.

You have to be very careful about some of these reports. There is often much more to the story...

The person who got that reply from Tube Depot was a studio engineer with no horse in the world of tube sales. Just a guy who wanted some KT-77's for a guitar amp at less than $1000 a quad.

I have no clue as to what Tube Depot has going on. I didn't call them, write them, and I've never bought a tube there in my life. Quite frankly I don't give a damn what Tube Depot has to say about anything at all, even about the weather. Just relaying the story.

If you've got a 100% success rate with the New Sensor KT-77, I should pass that on -- this guy will be interested.

I should also say, in regards to the $1000 quads of KT-77, that the JJ KT-77 is generally despised in the circles I know of who have tried it in musical instrument/guitar based applications, and not regarded as an option at all. And so, the news of the New Sensor offering was regarded as a true "kinkless tetrode of hope" for those of us too poor to pay for the NOS 77s.

thousandshirts said:
I should also say, in regards to the $1000 quads of KT-77, that the JJ KT-77 is generally despised in the circles I know of who have tried it in musical instrument/guitar based applications, and not regarded as an option at all. And so, the news of the New Sensor offering was regarded as a true "kinkless tetrode of hope" for those of us too poor to pay for the NOS 77s.

I find that odd simply based on the number of guitar/amp forums I subscribe to. The reviews on the JJKT77's have been pretty solid the past year+ and seem to be improving regularly.

This has been especially true in Marshall amps and amps that are known for pushing the voltage limit a bit.

My KT77 PP amp is running in the 450V range, The current set of JJ's have been in the amp since 2006. I have experience a 5-6ma drift in the matching over that period, but none the less they have been real work horses.

2 years worth of heavy practice sessions and gigs, not to mention slamming around in the truck dragging it everywhere.

I know its not luck, murphy law owns my luck :D

Oh, I've heard some reports that of the JJ KT-77's are good for 550 over sustained periods of time But the JJ KT-77, as well as the JJ EL-34 (the JJ EL-34/B have been extremely durable tubes in my experience, though I've received a few duds, the ones that don't drift way west and forward within a few weeks generally will last a few years) don't sound anywhere near my preferences. And then there's the JJ 6V6 -- or can we even call it a 6V6? Anyways. The hope is that the New Sensor Genalex provides a different flavor to savor than the JJ. I'm glad that ANYBODY is making tubes at all. I don't mean to be a choosy floosy, but if I can get it. . . I'll take it. Or wait for it. Or something. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.