• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Removing pot from valve pre amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes... could use a 50K resistor unless you have a specific requirement around input impedance to the buffer. Would also recommend a resistor at the output to ground to prevent a DC spike if the output is unplugged/plugged while the stage is active.

Note that you really don't have a buffer but a line stage with amplification and phase inversion. A buffer stage would be better addressed using a cathode follower. Gain would be a bit less than unity and phase would not be inverted.

Regards, KM

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a 270K to ground on the output. There is also an output mute delay that prevents anything going to the power amp for about 90 seconds.

I appreciate that this isn't really a buffer, but I would like to try it in my system where volume control is done using the SB3.

Fair enough,

I would make one other recommendation however.... regarding the input and output loads. Consider the "ideal" load for whatever source you plan on driving your "buffer" stage with. In most cases where interconnects are used, I split the ideal load equally at both ends of the cable. In other words, if your source would ideally like to see a 100K load, I would terminate each end of the interconnect with a 200K load (in the device). In many cases, a component was specifically designed around a certain load for either damping, feedback, time-constants, etc.

The venerable Dynaco PAS series is one example. The output was specifically designed to have a 50K load. Most will note that their (Dynaco) power amplifiers had a 470K input resistor which isn't even close. However, if you look at the schematics for the PAS, you'll see a 62K resistor on the circuit board at the output and a 510K resistor mounted on the rear RCA panel jack for the output. So, parallel the 62K, 470K and 510K resistors and you get 50K. Anyone driving a different load with the PAS was not operating optimally as designed. Just my $0.02.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.